Saturday, July 24, 2010

Supergirl Annual #2 Art By Matt Camp


I think everyone is pretty excited about October's Supergirl Annual #2. There is so much there for Supergirl fans!

First off we get the beginning of the Brainiac 5 and Supergirl relationship.

We also get the reimagination of the Silver Age's Satan Girl.

And we also get to see Matt Camp on art again! I think Camp's work is wonderfully suited for Supergirl so I am glad he was tagged as the artist here. And lucky for us, he has posted a small preview over on his blog. Here is the link: http://mattcampsblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/supergirl-annual-2-with-legion.html

And here are a couple of panels with Camp's comments.


Sun Boy and Lightning Lad kicking butt.
The gray lightning is that way because it's a layer for Nei to use, so she doesn't have to pull apart all the lines. A little behind the scenes info.

So we can tell this is an 'early Legion adventure' by the costumes that the Legionnaires are wearing here and on the cover. I like the behind the scenes stuff like the different colored lightning to help the colorist with effects.


Supergirl and Brainiac 5, probably arguing.
The question mark is a placeholder for something I probably cant spoil just yet.

Hmmm ... what could be in there? It's great to see Brainy and Supergirl puttering around his lab. Could it be a captured Satan Girl? A girl legionnaire afflicted by a 'crimson virus'?


Supergirl meets the Legion of Superheroes.

Very nice reaction shot. Beautiful!

Anyways, I have said in the past that I hope Camp will be the 'official pinch hitter' on the title when Jamal is too busy. His art is slick! I am pretty excited for this Annual.

10 comments:

valerie21601 said...

I am really, really looking forward to this years, Supergirl Annual #2. It's been a long time since I was this excited about an annual.

Gene said...

Supergirl has done everything Superman has...except musical theater.

I know I posted this already, but after looking at that cover, I half expect Supergirl and Brainiac 5 to sing "A Whole New World" together with the Legion singing in chorus behind them. Such a production would be too big for the stage, so an animated feature would be more practical.

The Superman musical was recently revived in Dallas and "Curse of the Music Meister" from Batman the Brave and the Bold was just nominated for an Emmy, so hey, it could happen...

Nikki said...

If Kara is anyone, its the Little Mermaid. Part of your World! LOL

Saranga said...

What would a crimson virus be?

Anj said...

I know I posted this already, but after looking at that cover, I half expect Supergirl and Brainiac 5 to sing "A Whole New World" together with the Legion singing in chorus behind them. Such a production would be too big for the stage, so an animated feature would be more practical.

The Superman musical was recently revived in Dallas and "Curse of the Music Meister" from Batman the Brave and the Bold was just nominated for an Emmy, so hey, it could happen...


That is too funny.

Maybe 'That's all I ask of you' from Phantom of the Opera?

I *loved* the Music Meister episode so I am glad to see it recognized!

Anj said...

What would a crimson virus be?

A plot piece in Satan Girl's original appearance in Adventure Comics #313.

I'll review it prior to the Annual, I promise!

Anj said...

I am really, really looking forward to this years, Supergirl Annual #2. It's been a long time since I was this excited about an annual.

Should be great!

I wonder if Levitz will ever use Supergirl in his Legion series? Or are the super-cousins not allowed in.

valerie21601 said...

I wonder if Levitz will ever use Supergirl in his Legion series? Or are the super-cousins not allowed in.

I sure hope so. Not too often but every so often especially Supergirl.

I wonder if one day we will be seeing Brainiac 5 doing something to save Kara from or after her destined fate to die?

After all one of the storylines you didn't mention about Adventure Comices #516 is that Brainiac 5 got a HUGE portion/endowment from Brande's estate to do whatever he wants with his time travel studies.

I did enjoy the scenes when Irma smacks his shoulder to make B5 behave during the reading of the final will and where Brande calls B5 on a couple of issues from beyond the grave too.

Martin Gray said...

Goodness Val, I wonder if Kara knows about Querl's 'huge endowment'.

As for a song for Kara (Silver Age alert!), how about Stephen Sondheim's 'Someone in a tree' from Pacific Overtures?

And wowza, this annual is going to be fantastic.

valerie21601 said...

I wonder if the two of them will become Legion member on the same day together like they did pre-Crisis.

When Supergirl finally meets the Legion in Spergirl Annual #2.