Well, after mulling over the original Supergirl origin story from Superman/Batman, and musing about what shouldn't be in the upcoming Apocalypse movie, I thought I would post what I hope will be in the movie.
Some of these have already been confirmed when the trailer for this movie was leaked late last week. Unfortunately, the trailer has been pulled from many places on the internet. I wonder exactly how that happened. Could it have been a miscommunication? A calculated 'mistake' to drum up publicity? A realization that maybe it should have been 'released' at SDCC? For whatever reason, I hope people got a chance to peek at it before it was yanked.
EDIT: So far this site still has it up. Click here.
Here are the things I hope are in the movie, again in the order in which they appeared in the story, not by importance.
1) Superman's joy - This story was way before New Krypton. It was before Last Son. So one of the things that I liked about this was Superman's utter happiness in realizing that he isn't alone in the universe, that he isn't the Last Kryptonian.
I'll add to that Superman's immediate love of his cousin. The characterization of Superman really felt right on for this arc, even his occasional foray into being over-protective. After all, who would want your long lost family member to be hurt in any way, even if it is while just sparring with Artemis.
2) Army of Doomsdays - When Darkseid invades Paradise Island in his attempts to kidnap Supergirl, he sends an army of Doomsdays to soften up the troops. It made sense from a continuity point of view as Luthor had given Doomsday to the Lord of Apokolips. These weren't your standard Doomsday; they were eliminated somewhat easily. Still, an squad of Doomsdays was a sight to behold.
This one was confirmed in the trailer.
3) Big Barda - Turner drew her more like 'Tall thin Barda' rather than 'Big Barda'. But I really love Barda and Mister Miracle as characters. Both are victims of Apokoliptian training and torture who let love save them. In this story, Superman and Batman needed warriors to help bring the fight to Darkseid. Who better than Barda.
4) Batman defeating Darkseid - Sure Superman is the one who in the end pounds Darkseid. But it was Batman who orchestrated Supergirl's release as well as the 'non-aggression against Kara' pact. I don't always need to see Batman standing up against the most powerful characters in the DCU. In this story it worked because he out-thought Darkseid, commandeering Darkseid's own weapons and holding them as an ultimate threat. I love how Darkseid respects the threat since it came from a human.
5) The Welcome Party - Perhaps my favorite moment of the story was the welcoming party when Superman introduces Supergirl to the heroes of the DCU. From the beginning comments by Superman when he states that it seems that the heroes only unite for funerals to Supergirl hoping to become a hero worthy of the costume, I thought this scene was great. Hopefully this scene remains relatively intact. I think it would be great for all these characters to be in the background, a way for DC to expose new viewers to the pantheon of super-heroes.
Let's hope the high points of this story stay intact! I can't wait for this movie to come out.
Who's Who: The Wanderers
54 minutes ago