Monday, November 2, 2009

Preview Pages on The Source

Over on The Source late last week, Matt Idelson was kind enough to post a bunch of preview pages from all the super-titles. Here is the link (and hopefully it works):

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2009/10/30/what%e2%80%99s-going-on-the-superman-books-next-week-find-out-from-editor-matt-idelson-now/

I have to admit that I love preview pages and some of the ones he posted are worth a little discussion. As always, I advise reading the whole post on the Source.

So the first pages worth talking about are the ones from Supergirl #47 which will be released on November 18.

One thing I wondered was how I would like Matt Camp's fill-in art on issues #47-49. So I was glad to see these pages so I could get a better sense of his style.

Judging from these pages, his stuff looks very solid.

And is there any better tease than seeing Alura take out some unknown Kryptonian official? Alura has acted unhinged before so I wonder what this guy did to deserve the left hook. I wonder if he is the 'public defender' for Reactron. Does New Krypton even have forced legal representation?

Well, it turns out there is a better tease. How about seeing Alura crush Reactron's hand? I wonder just how Supergirl is going to react to Alura's responses here.

I can only imagine the salacious and awful things he is saying to her.

Again, I will say that the art in these pages looks great so hopefully there won't be a letdown until Jamal Igle comes back.

The close up panels of Alura remind me of some celebrity but I can't think exactly of who.


I love this page from Action Comics #883.

For one, I have really like Pere Perez' artwork on the title. This page is a winner. I love the bottom 'kiss' panel. Thara's positioning, leaning in with one leg up .... Chris' obvious shock from the kiss ... the art deco circle behind them. It all works, looking like a magazine cover from the '40s.

And given that Flamebird has just drained all the flame out of a Brimstone style creature, my guess is that is one hot kiss!




Lastly, this double page spread from Superman #694 showing, I believe, the first appearance of Mon-El in his new snappy costume.

I like Javier Pina's take on Bizarro as he looks absolutely immense. Still, I would love to see Renato Guedes back here.

There are a couple of pages from World of New Krypton #9 on the DC blog as well. Overall, looks like it will be a fun month.

9 comments:

Gene said...

Anj wrote:
"Alura has acted unhinged before so I wonder what this guy did to deserve the left hook."

Alura: “Here are a few things I need you to pick up for us at Circle K.”

Old Guy: “Grocery shopping? That’s women’s work!”

*POW!*

Alura: “Make sure the eggs don’t have any cracks in them.”

Gene said...

Anj wrote:
"I can only imagine the salacious and awful things he is saying to her."

Kara: Mother, here is the...

Alura: The first one was cold, the one after that had a few slices missing, and the last one was smothered with anchovies.

Reactron: Look lady, I'm just the delivery guy. I have no idea what...

*CRUNCH*

Alura: I hate anchovies!

REALLY HATE THEM!

Reactron: YE-OW!! Sweet mother of Rao! I drive with that hand!

Good luck trying to get your Deep Dish now, I was the only Cosmic Pizza driver willing to take the New Krypton route.

Alura: Don't expect a tip from me...

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, keep in mind, Reactron SANG like a canary when Thara went all "Phoenix" on him. So IF Alura wants him executed, tortured or shipped off to the triple strength Phantom Zone, then Kara has to be ambivalent about it as Felix' testimony can exonerate her on Earth.
In fact, it is Reactron's own testimony that is his big bargaining chip and on New Krypton it likely counts for nothing.
I'm thinking that is the next big Mom-daughter conflict after the 10:30pm curfew on Saturday night.
:D
John Feer

TalOs said...

Man what a great time to re-address Alura being exposed to that bolt of green K radiation that hit her (upon her and Zor-El cleansing Kara of being exposed to it's deadly influence prior) if she declares one min that Reactron will be executed and then the next he'll surprisingly be set free and Earth itself will be who she chooses to deal harsh punishment out to now.

Matt Camp said...

Phew! I was a little nervous about how I'd be liked, this blog became a big help for me while doing Supergirl research so I appreciate it. And Alura should have her own series, or at least a limited.

Anj said...

Reactron: YE-OW!! Sweet mother of Rao! I drive with that hand!

Good luck trying to get your Deep Dish now, I was the only Cosmic Pizza driver willing to take the New Krypton route.

Alura: Don't expect a tip from me...


I loved these posts by the way.


Good laughs!

Anj said...

In fact, it is Reactron's own testimony that is his big bargaining chip and on New Krypton it likely counts for nothing.

Good point.

My guess is New Krypton isn't interested in having Reactron tell Earth it was Lane's doing. I think ALura will say that justice is more important.

Anj said...

Phew! I was a little nervous about how I'd be liked, this blog became a big help for me while doing Supergirl research so I appreciate it. And Alura should have her own series, or at least a limited.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am sure I will have more to say once the issues come out. Feel free to let us know about your experience on the book. We love to hear from the creators here!

Anonymous said...

Right but Reactron's testimony IS important to Kara, the whole situation is a bellweather as to her own attitude towards her adopted world.
Which points to yet another split between mother and daughter...
So much to enjoy in this storyline...so much

John Feer