Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ethan Van Sciver's Supergirl As Indigo Lantern


Sometimes I think I am lucky. This is one of those times.

At the recent Boston Supermegafest, I was able to get a full commission from Ethan Van Sciver. I had pled my case on this blog last week, so anyone who passed that plea on to Van Sciver I thank you.

I knew I wanted to get Supergirl as a Lantern Corps member and going in I was really torn between an Indigo Lantern (the Corps I think would try to recruit her) or a Red Lantern (my favorite Corps). I feared profuse vomit as a thematic element if I went Red, so in the end I decided to opt for Indigo and I am sooooo glad I did. This is a remarkable commission.

There are plenty of details that I love here. First off, two parts of the Matrix uniform I love are the pointed sleeves and the pointed belt. Here, those parts of the costume are actually used as part of the Indigo Lantern symbol on the costume. I also love how the S-Shield has been morphed into the Indigo sigil as well. That is just slick!

I also love how the clouds behind Supergirl are the Indigo symbol as well.

And lastly, Supergirl herself is lovely here ... no surprise.

My one regret is that I was unable to really thank Mr. Van Sciver in any meaningful way. This convention promises free sketches from Van Sciver so the line is unbelievably lengthy. As I was just dropping off the book on Saturday and then picking it up on Sunday, I sort of cut that long long line. Trust me, the crowds were not happy to see me walk right up to the table. But I didn't know if I needed to be waiting in line for 3 hours either. So Sunday I simply walked up, got the sketch book, peeked at the commission, and shook Van Sciver's hand before the crowd turned and pounded me. I could feel the angry eyes of them on me.

So, Mr. Van Sciver ... if you read this ... I am absolutely thrilled with this commission and wish I could have looked it over with you and commented on it like this at the convention. This is such a unique and timely piece and I think it will be a signature commission in my collection. Hopefully you had as fun a time creating this as I am going to have looking at it. Thank you!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing!

TalOs said...

At the recent Boston Supermegafest, I was able to get a full commission from Ethan Van Sciver.

So I saw! 0_0 Sweet! BD

I had pled my case on this blog last week, so anyone who passed that plea on to Van Sciver I thank you.

You're welcome. Ethan apparently informed me that I was actually the first to bring it to his attention at the time up on Facebook it seemed. ;)

Heath Edwards said...

very, very nice, anj. congratulations on a lovely piece. indigo supergirl is my choice, too. way to go!!

Saranga said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I'm a Lantern fan and my 'Super'friend pointed me this way. Very, very nice!

Ayhe said...

Congratulations for being blessed with such beautiful comission :)
I think it´s one of the most beautiful Supergirls ever drawn

Anj said...

Thank you everyone for the comments!

I'm glad everybody has enjoyed it. I do wonder what a red lantern Supergirl would look like. But I clearly I made the right choice.

Anonymous said...

Van Sciver....


Jeez, that name sounds familiar..


Did he recently do the Green Latern Corps arc? The one with the all-out war with the multi-colored Laterns or something?

-ealperin