Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Boston Comic-Con Roundup Part 2 - Jim Calafiore



Figured I would continue to post the commissions I obtained at the Boston Comic-Con a couple of weekends ago.

When looking at the artists attending the conventions I head to, I always try to imagine what they would do with a Supergirl commission. I like to get different sort of artistic takes on the Supergirl character which is why I like seeing pieces by folks like Sean Phillips and Alex Maleev.

It is risky because sometimes the artists feel uncomfortable with the character and the piece shows it. Other times the artist feels like it is a challenge and pour more into it. Either way, I enjoy different interpretations of Supergirl and I think it is one of the more interesting aspects of my collection.

Anyways, it was that feeling of an 'new' take that made me grab a Jim Calafiore piece. He mostly does Batman books so his style is a little dark and angular. But he also did several issues of Countdown so I knew he was okay with doing more traditional super-hero stuff.

I really like how this one came out. Just a really great piece of Supergirl soaring amongst the clouds.

4 comments:

TalOs said...

WOW! 0_0 What a seriously sweet job he ended up doing in the end! :D

Gene said...

You should hang all of your commissions in a gallery Anj and make an online video of you analyzing each one like those art documentaries on television.

Saranga said...

How do you organise your art Anj? Are they hung up on a wall or collected in a book or individually framed? If they are hung up on the wall could we get a picture of them all on the wall?

Anj said...

How do you organise your art Anj? Are they hung up on a wall or collected in a book or individually framed? If they are hung up on the wall could we get a picture of them all on the wall?

I started out by framing and hanging them but ran out of wall room.

So I have a Supergirl sketch book I bring to the conventions now.

I'll try to take a pic of the 'wall of fame' and post here soon.