Wednesday, November 18, 2009

An Open Letter To Ethan Van Sciver


Mr. Van Sciver,

I doubt you will see this but figured I would give it a shot.

I am a big fan of your work and obviously a big fan of Supergirl as well. Last September, I was able to get the above commission from you at the Boston Comic Book Spectacular. It is one of my favorite pieces in my growing commission collection.

I will be heading to the Boston Super Megafest on Saturday where you are one of the guests attending. I will hope to be in line early enough to get another commission from you then. While I understand you will be swamped with fans all eager to get a free sketch from you, I was hoping to get something perhaps a bit more special and (hopefully) more interesting for you.


A while back on this blog, I ran a poll about which Lantern Corps would recruit Supergirl. As you can see Indigo and Blue garnered the most votes. But all the corps got at least one vote, I suppose showing just how complicated and multi-dimensional a character Supergirl is.

I am hoping that if I am in line at the right time and make it to you for a sketch that you would sketch Supergirl in some mash of her costume and one of the Corps' uniforms. I think she would most likely be recruited by the Indigo Corps but I would be interested to hear which Corps you think she would join.

While I know that your line at the Megafest tends to be quite long and that I cannot expect more than the standard free sketch, any extras you could add to the commission would be greatly appreciated by me. Appropriate remuneration would, of course, be gladly extended. The sketch would then be posted here for all to see.

I look forward to meeting you again and will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks,
Anj

5 comments:

Saranga said...

That's an awesome idea! Good luck and I look forward to hearing how it goes. :)

That commission you posted is lovley too. What a great expresison on her face :)

Unknown said...

Best of luck!

Btw, haven't you tried to contact him trough the web ? most people are accesible, others not so.. true. Don't know about this guy.

TalOs said...

AH HA! You're in luck, Anj! He's actually one of my contacts on Facebook so I'll be sure to pass this on to him bro. ;)

Ethan VS said...

Hey Anj!

It's an overnight convention, so if you plan on being there Saturday AND Sunday, we can probably work something out. As you can probably imagine, during the day I'll be swamped just doing free head sketches, but back in my hotel room, I might be able to do something more substantial.

See you!
Ethan

Anj said...

Hey Anj!

It's an overnight convention, so if you plan on being there Saturday AND Sunday, we can probably work something out. As you can probably imagine, during the day I'll be swamped just doing free head sketches, but back in my hotel room, I might be able to do something more substantial.

See you!
Ethan


Thanks so much for responding! The convention is just down the street from me so I can be there the next day. I don't know if I *need* to pay the entrance fee to get in so maybe a handoff in the lobby could happen.

Either way, I'll be there Saturday and we can talk about some sort of deal.

Thanks again!!