Monday, July 14, 2008

Supergirl Tonner Doll Exclusive at San Diego Comicon 2008

Look at what has just been announced as one of the ultra-exclusive goodies at the San Diego Comicon. A Tonner doll called the Phantom Zone Supergirl.

Here is the official blurb:

Phantom Zone Supergirl is limited to only 200 pieces (certificate of authenticity included) and will sell for $139.99. At sixteen inches tall, this bullet proof beauty comes decked in all white, trimmed in gold. Her cross-over midriff top is emblazoned with her gold super 'S' and she has white, thigh-high boots and gold laces. Because TONNERDirect are concerned with your convenience, the 28 eyelets are already laced (they zip from the back)! Aglets not included.

Aglets not included??

Okay, I have never even seen this sort of outfit on Kara, and I even have those nutty 70’s Adventure Comic issues where she seemed to have a new outfit every other issue. Nor do I understand why this is called the Phantom Zone Supergirl. Why would Kara dress like one of Captain Kirk’s flings only to be sent to a wraith-like existence for eternity?


Anyways, I guess we should be happy that it is Supergirl. Any publicity is good publicity, right?

I have never been to the San Diego Comicon being an East coast kind of guy. I can only imagine how much fun it is. And I suppose it is good I am not going because I might actually drop the cash for this.

As for Tonner dolls, they look great but are too expensive. They seem to be geared more for doll collectors than comics collectors, although there is some cross-pollination. They do have DCStars line that includes a very nice Supergirl doll that costs $124.99.


This is a very beautiful figure in my favorite version of Supergirl’s costume, the Matrix costume. It is close to perfect, but no pointy sleeve ends. I also think the blue is a little too light here, but the S-shield is a nice size.

You also can buy a ‘Krypton dress’ to put the doll in for *choke* $89.99.

It sort of looks like a cross between the Kryptonian garb they wore in the Richard Donner Superman movie and the ‘futuristic outfit’ Dr. Evil put Elizabeth Hurley in at the end of “Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery.”

But this is what got me. For *gasp* $69.99, you can get a ‘Casual Identity’ outfit for a Linda Danvers doll that is not yet available. They are making a LINDA DANVERS doll!!!



Am I a huge geek because I may have been more intrigued/excited about the Linda doll than the Supergirl doll?

I advise every one to peruse the DCStars section of the Tonner website at the link below to see all the characters they offer. The pictures above are from this site.

http://tonnerdoll.com/dcstars.htm

As for me I am saving my pennies for the DCDirect Deluxe figure.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first thought about that DC Direct doll was, "OMG, Streaky!!!" I think that trumps your huge geekery over the Linda Danvers doll. That or I've just become one of those "cat people."

Heath Edwards said...

mmk, you're both mega-weirdos ;)... i will say that the phantom-zone supergirl does have her eyes well done. it does make her look a little dazed, but after time in the phantom-zone, who wouldn't be...

Anj said...

My first thought about that DC Direct doll was, "OMG, Streaky!!!"

Thanks so much for the post!

Oh, I geeked out about Streaky too! Here is my post on that doll.

http://comicboxcommentary.blogspot.com/2008/06/june-16-big-news-day-item-4-supergirl.html

The truth is the Streaky (and the color of the shirt) probably sealed the deal for me to buy this Deluxe doll.

Streaky fans unite!!!

Anj said...

i will say that the phantom-zone supergirl does have her eyes well done. it does make her look a little dazed, but after time in the phantom-zone, who wouldn't be...

Yes ... I am a Supergirl freak!

But I also agree her eyes are pretty wide and pale.

It did remind me slightly how Jim Mooney drew her eyes ... like white circles with a tiny pupil.

Anonymous said...

Dolls aren't my forte y'unnerstan...so the whole "Phantom Zone Supergirl" thing completely confuses me.
Maybe it some riff on Kara's exile to the Zone on Smallville...that doesn't make sense since Kara was Zoned on Smallville because she was a distraction from Clark's storyline and an impediment to bringing in the vitally important GREEN ARROW character...

Grrrrr
Snarf
Growwwl

John Feer

Anj said...

Dolls aren't my forte y'unnerstan...so the whole "Phantom Zone Supergirl" thing completely confuses me.
Maybe it some riff on Kara's exile to the Zone on Smallville...


Yeah. I can;t quite understand the concept behind the doll or the outfit. I think this is where it veers more to the doll collector side of things rather than the DC purist.


Grrrrr
Snarf
Growwwl


Hmmm .... another Streaky fan in our midst?

Anonymous said...

I personally own the DC Stars tonner Supergirl doll, and have to say it was worth every cent. The quality on that doll is amazing. Patent leather boots and belt, she even has little nude colored fishnets on to cover her leg joints a little.

i only got it because it's Supergirl, and I'd recommend getting her if you're even just curious. Great collectors Item, by far one of my favorite Supergirl items!