Monday, July 20, 2026

Review: Batman/Superman World's Finest #53


Batman/Superman World's Finest #53 came out this last week, wrapping up the three part Warlord crossover story. As always with this book, there are a lot of fun moments. But this story never really grabbed me.

Writer Mark Waid continues to do a great job with characterization in these stories for sure. In this one, it is Robin who gets the bulk of the work with our title heroes under a sorceror's spell for most of the book. Not only to we get to see how smart and funny this young Dick Grayson is but we get to hear what he has been taught about by Superman and Batman. There is a sanctity to life even if the life lived has been one of evil. Waid always shines with that stuff.

But the villain  plot here about a pilot getting magical powers and then trying to augment them with Atlantean tech all seems to come out of nowhere as does his defeat. 

Clearly I don't know what I want. I don't want decompression. But I don't want super-compression either. I wonder if this was more Waid just wanting to play in the Skartaris sandbox for a bit.

The art is again split between Adrian Gutierrez and Vicente Cifuentes. Both artists seem to be enjoying this savage land setting and these characters. 

As I have said before, I expect unparalleled excellence from this book. When it merely entertains (which this issue did) I somehow feel let down. On to the details.


Last issue, Superman was stripped of his powers and enslaved by Tyrant Rex. Robin has realized that each power has been bestowed to one of Rex's men. So here, he stops the super-breath demon. I don't know why Superman's powers are split this way but it leads to some fun story moments.

But already we have what is the hook for this story. Robin doesn't kill. He won't cross that line.


Meanwhile we see that Warlord does not have such a code, slashing the demon who has heat vision.

And so the crux of the story. Is killing the right thing to do? Do heroes kill?


As for Rex, he is heading to the Atlantean super-computers to combine science and magic and rule the world.

And he has Shakira in chains, ready to name her his queen.

I think this page is one of Cifuentes. Clearly he is channeling Mike Grell with the sexiness here of Shakira in bondage. But anyone who knows Shakira knows those cuffs won't hold a kitty cat. So why is she staying like this? Biding her time?


Remember, Superman is stripped of his powers but he and Batman are obeying Tyrant Rex and throttling the good guys.

When Robin, Mariah, and Warlord come across the unconscious allies that Batman and Superman have defeated, they are surprised that their fallen comrades are still alive. Robin knows it is because even controlled that respect for life is paramount in our heroes.

What is surprising is how Warlord just doesn't buy it. He has had to kill in the past. He knows sometimes it is the right thing to do.


I talked about funny moments. I loved this scene. Robin ends up saving the day against one of the demons, saving Mariah. 

It is funny to hear Warlord say he feels like a supporting character. After all, he was always the star in his own book. 

But it is funnier to hear Robin say he understands.


Finally everyone is there at the Atlantean super-computers. Rex, his super-powered cronies, the controlled Superman and Batman, Warlord, and Robin.

It looks like the bad guys are going to win when Robin realizes the best hope is to get Superman and Batman back in their right minds. The best way to get them thinking clearly? Remind them about that sanctity of life.

So he pulls a Silver Age Lois Lane and throws himself down a shaft, forcing the heroes to snap out of it and rescue him. 

Crazy. But it works!

Love that panel of the wide-eyed heroes shaking off the spell.


The super-powered demons are defeated so all the powers flood back into Superman. (I'll just roll with it but the prior page Superman was depowered. Here he uses his super-breath. No mention of them coming back or why.) Shakira turns to a cat, slips out of her cuffs, and scratches Rex, distracting him long enough to be defeated.

But again the difference in morals is pushing this story. Warlord won't kill today because he owes Robin. 

I do think these conflicting views made this more interesting than the actual threat of Rex.


Nothing left but the wrap-up. Time for the heroes to go home with Superman finding some super-vision trail to follow.

But Robin isn't too eager to go. Can't Shakira be his own Catwoman? Great ending gag. And I love how feisty Robin is about the opposite sex. He is a teenage boy after all.

So fun character moments and a nice theme about the sanctity of life. Fun artwork. But not the best story of this title ... by far.

Overall grade: B-

No comments: