Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Review: Absolute Superman #21


Absolute Superman #21 came out last week and was an all-out melee and very satisfying ending to the Black Adam storyline. If you wanted to see what it would look like for two super-powered beings just laying into each other, this is the issue for you. I think I have said it before but this is on Dragon Ball level. As someone who doesn't mind seeing superheroes brawling (one of the first reasons why I fell in love with comics as a kid) I drank this issue in. What makes this issue even more entertaining is that the brawl is just the front half of the book. The fallout from the brawl, and therefore the conclusion of this arc, is laid out afterwards.

Writer Jason Aaron continues to show us how this Superman is an inspiration for this Darkseid-fueled Absolute Universe. Last issue, we saw the murderous Hawkman, a field agent for the evil running the show on this Earth, see the light and help Superman. In this issue, we see Superman continue to reach out to Black Adam, trying to calm down the villain and remind Adam of his roots. That inspiration sort of bleeds out to Jimmy and Lois as well, although it seems like it impacts one more than the other.

I have said before, the first year plus of this title was a slow-burn reveal of the world and Superman. Since the Parasite story, this book has been going full throttle and Aaron shows he can write both of those styles. In truth, this arc 'feels' more like the Absolute-style of Batman and Wonder Woman. 

Rafa Sandoval is on art and his works just leaps off the page, especially in the combat sequences. You feel the punches, the hammers to the face, the environment-pulverizing blasts. I have always enjoyed Sandoval's work. But he has elevated his game here.

What is next for this book? Can't wait to find out. But first, this issue's events.


Last issue, Superman armed himself with Hawkman's mace and Steel's hammer and brought Black Adam to the moon for a throwdown. I won't cover the fight blow for blow but you should read this to see what happens to the moon when neither super-being holds back. 

But there are some highlights.

One, Superman communicates to Lois and Jimmy a list of people and places he will ask them to check in on should he die on the moon. It is a seemingly banal list of normal people he has befriended, people who he brings medicine to, villages he makes sure don't flood. But it shows how this Superman cares for the smallest of us. Love that.


The combatants begin to manifest armor and continue to pound on each other, demolishing the moon as they do. 

But Superman continues to appeal to Black Adam to stop. Adam has become the very thing he hated, a despot. Superman asks Adam what happened to the slave boy. Love that Superman is still trying to talk things down even when putting a hammer right into Adam's grill.


And then a favorite moment. Comic history doesn't always repeat itself. But sometimes it rhymes.

In the first Black Adam story, he is undone by saying his magic word. Here, in the flames of madness and fury, he says his magic word again. 

He turns back into that boy. 

For amateur comic historians like me, I loved this. Brilliant.


Hawkman suddenly arrives on scene.

Now knowing this Hawkman, and knowing the threat Adam just was, you'd think this Carter would just off the kid.

But maybe that Carter doesn't exist anymore. Instead, he uses the Father Box to teleport Adam away.

I don't know if Hawkman knows where he is sending this kid to. Maybe he thinks he is killing him. But I like to think he knows he is, in a way, saving Adam.

The fight is over.


On Earth, Lois and Talia have been tussling too. 

Just before Talia can kill Lois, Jimmy shows up and shoots the daughter of the devil. 

So much to love here.

I love Jimmy in his sweater vest, a sort of take on his usual character. I love that he is the Jimmy in the Absolute world, former officer in the radical Omega Men, and pissed that Talia was using that group as a front to help her father. 

But mostly I love that he probably is a lousy shot and shoots her in the shin not the head. Great panel of us looking down the barrel of the gun with the big bang behind him. 


All that's left is the wrap-up.

Hawkman has probably upset the people he used to work for and takes off into space.
Jimmy quits journalism and heads back to the Omega Men.
Lois decides to do real journalism and heads to the Smallville Gazette.
Steel seems to end up working on the Kent Farm.

This is a sort of new chapter about to start for all these folks.


We see Lois visiting Talia Al Ghul in prison, the exact way Superman visited Ra's.

She really has been effected by Superman and his inspiration. 

I thought this was very very cool. 


As for Superman, he rebuilds the moon and dives into work.

I like how here we only see his faceless helmet. It is like the job has overtaken the person. He isn't Clark or Kal. He is only Superman, a tool to save the world. I wonder if he is going to lose his mind, or grow fatigued, or just miss a normal life.

We shall see.


But we end on a great cliffhanger.

Adam was sent to a world where he can at least breathe.
He says the magic word again and vows he will have his revenge.
And while clamoring for Superman's doom we see a bunch of very Doomsday looking organisms on this world. Hmmm ....

Great issue all around. I really am a bit shocked by how much I am loving this title. Superman is a shining light in a dark place. Sandoval crushes it here. And onto the next phase of this book.

Overall grade: A

No comments: