Thursday, November 28, 2019

Happy Thanksgiving!


Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrate!

I'll be heading to 2 family events, one for the turkey dinner, one for the pie and coffee.

But I figured I should take this day to give thanks to something in comics.

There was a recent solicit for a Superman 100 Page Giant and the breakdown of the contents were showcased over on Bleeding Cool here:
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11/21/robert-venditti-paul-pelletier-andrew-hennessy-new-superman-giant-1/



One thing that stood out was the reprint of 'Looking Glass' from Supergirl #54, from the eternally beloved Sterling Gates/Jamal Igle. This was an important chapter in that Kara's life. Reeling from the New Krypton war, the death of her mother, and the arrival of Bizarro Girl, Supergirl was trying to sort out the emotions of her life.

Here is a link to my review of that issue from nearly 10 years ago:
http://comicboxcommentary.blogspot.com/2010/07/review-supergirl-54.html 




One of the best things in that issue was this panel, lovingly called (by me) as the Closet of Solitude . It was fun to break down all the mementos here. This was the #3  Supergirl moment of 2010!

Anyways, I am always happy when the Gates/Igle run is spotlighted and showcased for the excellent run it was.

We should all give thanks that that particular Supergirl run happened and is still lauded. Thank you Sterling and Jamal!!!

And everyone have a slice of pumpkin pie for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad those Giant issues are reprinting Supergirl stories. And it's always good to see Gates' run getting a bit of exposure.

Although issue 54 seems somewhat random. I mean, it's in the middle of a storyline.

Anyway, I'm not complaining.