Thursday, September 20, 2018

Justice League Action Happy Meal Toy


My youngest Supergirl is 14 but still heads to McDonald's now and then, usually to hang out with friends. And it seems the only things on the menu that she herself will eat are fries and McFlurries.

That said, her friends still occasionally enjoy McNuggets or other treats there.

Where is this all going Anj?

Well, my daughter came home and said that she had gone to McDonald's with her friends. Her friends got Happy Meals complete with Justice League Action toys! And when the friends were going to throw out the toys, my daughter said, without shame, 'I bet my Dad would love this.' And she brought it home for me!

I must be doing something right!

As for McDonald's, if you head to their Happy Meal website now, you'll be greeted by the Justice League Action opening page. There is Supergirl, right up there with the Trinity! Amazing.

That could have been Flash or Green Lantern. It could have been Stargirl or a villain.

But they chose Supergirl.

I am still floored by things like this. She is that much in the public consciousness.

On to the actual toy!



It is a sort of communicator/pokedex of some of the JLA members.

It has a nice lenticular panel with Batman and Wonder Woman. There is little slide indicator on the right side which I guess is where you designate who you are trying to contact.

I will say again how much I like the 'sorta Saiyan' look of Wonder Woman.



Then if you hit the big button on the bottom, it flips open like an old school tricorder. Inside are flip cards of several characters.

There are three power bars with icons. There isn't much explanation for them.

I am assuming the following-
Fist bar: strength level.
Sword bar: combat prowess
Runner bar: speed

I guess when you have the power set of the Kryptonians, you don't necessarily need to be the best in combat.

Interestingly enough, Superman's bar breakdown is exactly the same. Fascinating.



For comparison sake, here is Wonder Woman's card.

Notice she is as strong as the Kryptonians. She is a better combatant. That makes sense. She isn't as fast. That also makes sense.

I do find it odd that Stargirl's combat bar is maxed out. But my daughter said 'Dad, she is fantastic with that staff!' So if it makes sense to her, I'll roll with it.

Supergirl on a Happy Meal toy. I'm still as gobsmacked as I was in 2016.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was very nice of your daughter.

"I am still floored by things like this. She is that much in the public consciousness."

But Anj, that can't be! Over CBR a guy who is resentful because Supergirl is getting a movie said Supergirl is never brought up in pop culture at all!

Haters aside, it's great to see her displayed so prominently. Maybe they thought the opening page should display two males and two females? Even so, they could have chosen another female character with more episode appearances under her belt. But they chose Supergirl.

"Interestingly enough, Superman's bar breakdown is exactly the same. Fascinating."

Interesting, indeed. It brings to mind "Keeping up with Kryptonians", when both cousins were well matched.

Stargirl's combat bar maxed out? I don't know how good of a staff-user she is, but I have trouble believing she surpasses Wonder Woman.

Anyhow, a very nice gift.

Anonymous said...

Cute.

I don't see this particular toy anywhere on the happymeal.com website. Maybe I'll stop in to a McDonald's to see what they've got.

I then did this search:

justice league site:happymeal.com

Which brings up some text in the search results description that I don't actually see on the page:

"Bring your little heroes to McDonald's® for a Happy Meal® that's fueled with family fun! Now through September 17th. At participating McDonald's. While supplies last. Ask about our special toys for children under 3."

Did this promotion end on 9/17? Oh well. I'm older than 3 so maybe I'm not in the demo.

But you can get this gadget and more for $14.99 on eBay:

MCDONALD'S 2018 DC JUSTICE LEAGUE ACTION HAPPY MEAL TOYS. COMPLETE SET OF 8 TOYS
ALL NIP!! SHIPPING NOW!!
YOU GET:

1: Superman / Supergirl Lightup Megaphone
2: Batman / Batgirl Periscope
3: Superman / Wonder Woman Magnetic Grabber
4: Batman / Batgirl Batarang
5: Superman / Supergirl Binoculars
6: Justice League Contact Card Case
7: The Flash / Stargirl Mask
8: Superman / Wonder Woman Flying Disk

Looks like the seller is calling it the Contact Card Case. It's more of a rolodex than a communicator.

I could use a batarang. I'm running low.

I'm not sure how much Supergirl has been featured in Justice League Action, but it's fun to see her here. Maybe just in that Wonder Woma/Felix Faust short, and Keeping up with the Kryptonians?

Anonymous said...

Oh I also see the megaphone - looks like it comes with some Superman, Supergirl, and S symbol sticks you can affix to the megaphone. I wonder if it's loud enough to drive parents crazy.

The binoculars also comes with stickers for Superman and S symbols, plus a standing Supergirl, and a close-up Supergirl. I think the standing sticker is the same drawing as the one on the flip card.

Seems to me a lightup megaphone, a periscope and a batarang are all you really need to get through any situation.

Anonymous said...

"I'm not sure how much Supergirl has been featured in Justice League Action, but it's fun to see her here. Maybe just in that Wonder Woma/Felix Faust short, and Keeping up with the Kryptonians?"

Supergirl also made a long appearance in Streaky's debut episode "Unleashed" and cameoed in "Party Animal" (seen in background) and "Forget Me Not" (monitor screen). Satan Girl made an appearance in "Speed Demon".

Anonymous said...

And anyway at age 14, I think your daughter risked a certain amount of social standing for rescuing Happy Meal Super Hero Toys for her Dad, so kudos to the filial piety....:)


JF

Anj said...

Thanks for all the comments.

Yes, that Happy Meal toy time has ended. Sorry for late post.

And it does seem more like a rolodex on the inside. It was the outside that look cell-phone like.

As for the girls rescuing toys for their dad, their friends know all about me and I am sure not shocked. I'm too comfortable in this skin to hide from folks.

Anonymous said...

"As for the girls rescuing toys for their dad, their friends know all about me and I am sure not shocked. I'm too comfortable in this skin to hide from folks."

“Critics who treat ‘adult’ as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

-- C. S. Lewis

Anonymous said...

>> Supergirl also made a long appearance in Streaky's debut episode "Unleashed" and cameoed in "Party Animal" (seen in background) and "Forget Me Not" (monitor screen). Satan Girl made an appearance in "Speed Demon".

Thanks for the list. I'll check them out.

Anonymous said...

New