Monday, April 10, 2017

Bullet Review: DC Bombshells #25


DC Comics Bombshells #25 came out this week, the print version of the digital first book. As always, this means I am behind the times.

When this book first started, I was completely engaged. We were introduced to the characters. Writer Marguerite Bennett was writing the main characters' arcs in the style of movie genres. And it all came together eventually in a battle over London. After that, perhaps because it wasn't meant to go on, the book seemed to wander a bit. For me, the lack of Diana and Kara in the book was maddening.

Why am I bringing this up?

Well, this issue reminded me of those early issues. I felt something for these characters, for the first time in a while. There were two moments that hit me nicely as a reader. And I definitely like the addition of Rose Wilson and June Moone. Ravager and Enchantress are definitely two of my favorites.

The art is by Aneke. This is the first I have seen of this artist and their style fits the book.

I won't go in depth here. But I felt I should hit on the high points.


The main book takes place with a Bombshell Suicide Squad, led by the vampiric Batgirl, trying to stop Nazi scientist Edward Nygma from resurrecting a greater demon than the Tenebrau that he utilized in the battle of London.

There is a decent two page recap of that early storyline. I include this panel only to showcase the one time you see Supergirl and Wonder Woman in this issue.


The real juice of the issue came in the back story. In it, archeology student Frankie Thomas, trained by her professor 'Doctor Jones' enters a site very reminiscent of the snake-filled resting place of the Ark of the Covenant in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

She finds a transmission which says that Faora Hu-ul, prisoner of the Phantom Zone, has broken free. She is incredibly dangerous and needs to be recaptured.

The addition of Faora to the proceedings means Supergirl will be back in the book. And as an old time reader, I like seeing Faora!


Furthermore, we see that Faora has been on Earth for some time. Just looking at the style of clothes, you can see she has been here for decades. And she realizes that Earth is a place were, with genetic manipulation, she can bring about a new Krypton.

This need to wait for science to catch up probably explains why Faora simply didn't take over instead of hiding out. And this genetic splicing talk probably explains how Power Girl is going to be explained. It reminds me of the Galatea story in Justice League Unlimited.

Finally we learn that she is now General Fyodora Khulun in the Soviet Army!

Okay, this was the first new storyline that grabbed me since the big final battle.


As for the main story, it is a claustrophobic affair as it takes place solely in a submarine. We see the Squad bash there way through and rescue Luc Fuchs (the Lucius Fox equivalent)? And we learn Babs had a history with him!

This moment was too great not to share. With undead Tenebrau attacking everyone in sight, the Squad leaves. And they let Nygma get his just desserts. After all, the Squad aren't the good guys. That was pretty cool.

I suppose Faora being introduced will keep me on the book for a bit more.

And I was glad to have feel some of the excitement I used to with the book.

Overall grade: B

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The main book takes place with a Bombshell Suicide Squad, led by the vampiric Batgirl"

Vampiric Batgirl.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around that.

"The addition of Faora to the proceedings means Supergirl will be back in the book. And as an old time reader, I like seeing Faora!"

Back then you knew a villain was dangerous when Pre-Crisis Superman was frightened of her.

Since then she has been replaced by Ursa and replaced Ursa. But I still miss her original incarnation: Kryptonian powerset, telepathy, fulgurkinesis AND martial arts? She was absolutely badass!

"This moment was too great not to share. With undead Tenebrau attacking everyone in sight, the Squad leaves. And they let Nygma get his just desserts. After all, the Squad aren't the good guys. That was pretty cool."

Hah! True. It reminds me of a line of a Steve Ditko character "As far as I'm concerned, you're sewage".

Happy with Supergirl showing up again.

Anonymous said...

Well I hate to be a sourpuss but once the current Kara storyline is concluded (however this book defines "concluded") I'm probably gonna drop "DC Bombshells" once and for all. The writing is maddeningly ubiquitous, these weird "Bombshellsverse" females are introduced randomly and frantically...we are supposed to care but the unreliable and anarchic writing just undercuts everything. As I've said before it's become a good idea poorly executed with a weirdly and undeservedly prideful attitude about itself....I hate to do this because I wanna be a faithful Kara supporter in the floppies but the book is utterly incoherent, and that incoherence is grating on me.

JF

Anj said...

I hear your points JF. As I said, it seemed like a tight, well conceived concept in the first year. Now, not so much. I think the mix of getting all the merch characters into the book as well as making sure the agenda is maintained has become the driver.

This issue felt more like an early one hence the optimism. Here's hoping.

Anonymous said...

Hi Anj

With Supergirl joining Injustice 2, will you be covering that series from now on? If so, digital from tomorrow, or paper version from May?

Anonymous said...

I can't speak for Anj, but I'm sure that he will be delighted to see an universe where Superman has gone crazy, become a mass-murdering dictator and tarnished the "S" emblem.

The silver lining is Supergirl appears to be promoted like the kind of hero her cousin used to be, and determined to save him from himself. WE'll see how it goes.

Anonymous said...

Injustice was a really great series up until Ground Zero. I have high hopes that they will do a great job with Supergirl. The Shattered Alliances Part 3 trailer really makes her shine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdXprUIPHHM

Anonymous said...

Off-topic, but I've seen Supergirl 8 preview pages:

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/previews/supergirl-8/

Color me puzzled and intrigued: "I didn't expect to see you so soon!"? "I shouldn't take a Crisis"? "You were gone so long! How's LOIS"???

Okay, let's remember some facts: Kal and Kara's relationship in the Post-Flashpoint universe was for a long time distant at best. Once in a blue moon they behaved as family. It isn't until Perkins run and "Last Days of Superman" they start rebuilding their relationship. Also, from what she knew, Wonder Woman was her cousin's lover until his death, and Lois Lane only a friend. And she barely knew or had met Lois.

Now, though, she is behaving like... well, like Gates' Supergirl did. Both cousins come across as extremely close. She's incredibly happy to see Kal, and assumes he's in a relationship with Lois... whom Kara is apparently on a first-name basis with.

She doesn't even mention his supposed death. She doesn't ask if he is her cousin or the second, older Superman.

And what does "You were gone so long!" mean?

So, how she has been affected by "Superman Reborn"? How has her backstory been tweaked?

I'm thinking maybe her past remains the same until her arrival on Earth, and then it changes, and she didn't shun her cousin.

So maybe H'el never happened. God bless us everyone.

But maybe it means "Red Daughter" never happened. And I happen to like "Red Daughter". But that story obviously cannot work with a Kara never was a bull-headed, angry, angsty loner.

I'm dying for knowing. I hope the next issue delivers.

Anj said...

I don't think I'm going to cover Injustice.

My guess will be that DC won't look back that closely at Kal and Kara's relationship. Let the reader mentally sort out what they want in and out. We'll see.

Anonymous said...

Ok. I really like to read your insights and opinions into everything Supergirl, but I understand if this is not for you.

Anonymous said...

"My guess will be that DC won't look back that closely at Kal and Kara's relationship. Let the reader mentally sort out what they want in and out. We'll see."

Continuity is in flux now. I foresee headaches.

"Ok. I really like to read your insights and opinions into everything Supergirl, but I understand if this is not for you."

I only speak for myself, but I think most of Superman fans are wondering when and why he became a Batman villain...

Anonymous said...

Injustice takes place in its own universe where the Joker tricked Superman into murdering Lois and his baby and to detonate a nuke in Metropolis. Superman decides enough is enough and declares an end to war, conflict and murder or he will take the gloves off. To uphold a world in peace he instates curfews and a private supersoldier militia. Batman thinks his path is the wrong one and mounts a resistance against Supermans private militia. Too many confrontations end badly and escalate their conflict until lives are lost. After that both of them entrench themselves on their own sides and it pretty much is all out war.

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean that literally. I know the backstory of the Injustice universe.

I meant -in tongue-in-cheek fashion- that DC is so obsessed with getting Superman and Batman fighting and make Batman look badass than they are virtually turning Superman in a Batman villain. And I'm sick of it.

I have the hope that maybe Injustice Supergirl will save her cousin from himself and DC will give this universe a rest.