Wednesday, February 16, 2011

May 2011 Solicits

The DC Comics May 2001 solicits have been posted on their website. Here is the link: http://www.dccomics.com/dccomics/comics/?dat=20110507&sort=date

There were the usual surprises when I perused the solicits. May seems like a month that DC is using to clear the decks a bit. Here are some of the solicits with my usual comments.



SUPERGIRL #64
Written by JAMES PEATY
Art by BERNARD CHANG
Cover by AMY REEDER and RICHARD FRIEND
It’s the brutal conclusion of “Good-Looking Corpse”! The true identity of the villainous Alex has been revealed, and he’s taken over the minds of Miss Martian, Robin and Blue Beetle. His first order? Destroy Supergirl by any means necessary!

Interesting that this whole arc will be over in just 4 issues. I don't recall if we heard how long the initial Nick Spencer story was going to be. The solicited 'cover' is a splash page from Supergirl #61 so we'll have to wait a bit to see what Amy Reeder has in mind.

But I guess the bigger question is 'Are James Peaty and Bernard Chang staying on as the creative team?'



JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #57
Written by JAMES ROBINSON
Art and cover by BRETT BOOTH and NORM RAPMUND
1:10 Variant cover by ED BENES
Eclipso’s master plan is revealed at last! But how can even he achieve such an outrageous goal? And how does it hinge on his control of the moon and the Emerald City of the Starheart? The JLA must fight Eclipso’s ever-growing Shadow Army while looking for answers in a race against time to prevent The End of Days while he targets the next pawn in his plan of ultimate control: The Spectre. Plus, Obsidian is back...but whose side is he on?

I think I am going to be very happy with Brett Booth's art in this book. Looks slick.

No mention of Supergirl, Dark or otherwise, here. I hope the Spectre actually is tough in this book. He always seems to be getting the snot kicked out of him. Is he the toughest being in the DCU or not?




SUPERMAN #711
Written by J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI & CHRIS ROBERSON
Art by EDDY BARROWS & J.P. MAYER
Cover by JOHN CASSADAY
1:10 Variant cover by DAVE JOHNSON
Superman meets Sin City as the “Grounded” storyline takes The Man of Steel to Las Vegas! But waiting there for Superman is an out-of-control Livewire, who has become more powerful and erratic than ever. Can Superman (with the help of Jimmy Olsen) shut her down before she shuts all of Vegas down, and more important, is Superman somehow responsible for her condition?

Well, Superman #708 was a step in the right direction for 'Grounded'. I really hope the arc builds on that energy. That said, this solicit is the 12th issue to be labeled as a part of 'Grounded' and frankly I am hoping it will wrap up soon.

That said, I like Livewire, one of those rare cartoons to comics characters like Harley Quinn. And it is nice to see Jimmy listed here. I hope the supporting cast starts showing up more.


ACTION COMICS #901
Written by PAUL CORNELL
Art and Cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT
1:10 Variant cover by DAN JURGENS
We can’t tell you much about this issue without ruining some of ACTION COMICS #900’s surprises, but suffice it to say, Doomsday’s back – and you’ve never seen him like this before! Doomsday’s first appearance brought about the “Reign of the Supermen,” where four characters – Superboy, Steel, Cyborg Superman, and Eradicator – came onto the scene to try to fill Superman’s shoes. Now, with “Reign of Doomsday,” it looks like Superman might need to fill their shoes!

Well now we know where the Kenneth Rocafort picture of Doomsday is going to be seen. What a great cover. And he is doing the interior art too! Now that is fantastic news! He is one of those artists whose work I like so much I might pick up the book just for his art.

Now it looks like Superman and all the 'Reign of Supermen' characters and Supergirl are down and out here. So who is left to face Doomsday? I have heard speculation that it's Kal-L. Or maybe Superboy Prime. Or maybe even Power Girl.

But there has to be something compelling Doomsday to do this, right?


SUPERBOY #7
Written by JEFF LEMIRE
Art by MARCO RUDY
Cover by KARL KERSCHL
Ever wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Well, have you ever woken up to discover that you’ve given in to your evil side and taken over your hometown? Superboy has. And as much as he wishes it were just a dream, the stakes are all too real! Guest-starring Lex Luthor, Tim Drake, and introducing “The New Titans!”

I had hoped that the 'evil side' part of Superboy's character wouldn't be touched upon for a long time in this book. After Geoff John's set up story in Adventure and the first few issues here, I had hoped the 'I'm half-Luthor, when will that manifest' type of plot wouldn't be necessary. It is clear that Conner is a hero. Anyways, maybe this is all some dream sequence by the evil Quakers in the book.

Marco Rudy is now listed on art and I don't know if I am happy about that. His art seems too rough for this book. And Karl Kerschl is now on covers. I loved Kerschl's work on the Wednesday Comics Flash. I hope he stays on the book for a while.



R.E.B.E.L.S #28
Written by TONY BEDARD
Art by CLAUDE ST. AUBIN and SCOTT HANNA
Cover by AARON LOPRESTI
With Starro the Conqueror on the verge of complete victory, our rebel fighters Lobo, Vril Dox, Adam Strange, Starfire and the gang pull out all the stops in this series’ bloody conclusion!
FINAL ISSUE

That's right. This is the final issue of R.E.B.E.L.S. I suppose that DC gave the book every chance in the world to succeed. And to be honest, this didn't really shock me. The book itself felt like it was struggling to find it's way these last few months.

But what did surprise me is that this was one of five books DC is cancelling in May. Five! The others are  JSA Allstars, Outsiders, Freedom Fighters, and Doom Patrol. I guess all of these have been on life support for a while. I really liked this incarnation of the Doom Patrol. And I can't get enough Freddy Williams' art in All-Stars. That guy rocks. I collect 3 of the 5 books! Suddenly my pull list is lighter. It feels downright funereal.

My guess is with the Flashpoint books coming out and whatever new titles are being born from Brightest Day that DC needed to clean house a bit.

So now that I won't have R.E.B.E.L.S. to talk about here, what non-Super title should I start to review?

12 comments:

Heath Edwards said...

hey anj, long time, no comment... but, thanks for all the lovely supergirl news and posts :)
with rocafort doing art for 901, is there any buzz about his being the ongoing artist?
just thought i'd pop it out there..

valerie21601 said...

I do know DC Comics is going to release 14 Flashpoint MINI-Series! With a 15th one to named later.

My guess part of it is to free up more dollars so people will buy Flashpoint mini-series.


Here is the link about it:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/01/28/dc-releases-the-names-of-14-flashpoint-mini-series-but-what-is-the-mystery-of-the-15th-title/

Anonymous said...

I am saddened to see "Doom Patrol" go. There just doesn't seem to be a place in this economy for "fringe" books, although DC kept it going for longer than they could have. With 15 "Flashpoint" mini-series coming out, I suppose the decks needed to be cleared. Aside from the Super-titles, I'd rather read a few books a month with characters who are not part of the Big 7 than spend money on yet another epic summer "event." I just hope DC doesn't cancel "Power Girl" next. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Aaron

Anonymous said...

I hope we are not sweating out cancellation fears...for that fact I hope we are not gonna re-enter the whole revolving door of creative teams.
Cuz getting a new super villain is like getting a new toy (and I mean that in a good way)...You wanna find out all the kewl nasty stuff he-she-they can do.
And I do see "new toy" potential in young Alex, that Supersophomore, that reader of two books that give him all the insight he needs to rule the world.
:D

John Feer

Anonymous said...

If your looking for a new book to review may I suggest Batgirl? It's been consistently fun and rather excellent. Plus it's got some ties to the Super family, what with Kara and Stephanie being pals and all.

Gene said...

I'm sorry Anj that REBELS got cancelled. I know you really liked that title.

Can't say that I'm surprised that Outsiders got canned though...

Anonymous said...

Batgirl or Birds Of Prey. Either one is Awesome! -ealperin

Anj said...

with rocafort doing art for 901, is there any buzz about his being the ongoing artist?
just thought i'd pop it out there..


Hey, great to hear from you!

I haven't heard anything about his taking over as the ongoing artist. I think he would be great.

Pete Woods has been great too.

Anj said...

I am saddened to see "Doom Patrol" go. There just doesn't seem to be a place in this economy for "fringe" books, although DC kept it going for longer than they could have.

I agree that DC kept some of these books (Patrol and REBELS) to keep going longer than normally would. Good for them I suppose, although it might not be good financially.

I agree that big events don't always work for me. I know for sure I'm not getting all the Flashpoint minis.

Anj said...

I hope we are not sweating out cancellation fears...for that fact I hope we are not gonna re-enter the whole revolving door of creative teams.

I think I am sweating a little bit.

Maybe one drop slowly going down my face like in the movies.

Anj said...

If your looking for a new book to review may I suggest Batgirl?

Batgirl or Birds Of Prey. Either one is Awesome!


Two votes for batgirl. One for BoP.

Hmmm ....

Anonymous said...

Well I myself read about three books a month these days, Supergirl the JLA and Birds of Prey. BoP is probably the best plotted book DC puts out these days, Gail Simone in particular is the absolute master of a good solid cliffhanger, my vote is for BoP.
Any book that makes a serious playa out of a former D-Lister like Lady Blackhawk is aces high in my book."

John Feer