Thursday, February 10, 2011

Kenneth Rocafort On 'Reign Of Doomsday'


I know this is sort of old news but I felt it was worth showing one more time.Over on the DC Source blog (here is the link http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/01/31/who-will-be-left-standing-in-doomsdays-wake/ ),
a Kenneth Rocafort cover for one of the 'Reign of Doomsday' books was teased.

This is a great cover. And that is now big surprise given how talented Rocafort is. I just absolutely love his energetic style. There is just a dynamic feel to his work what with the angular feel to energy and motion lines as well as his solid character composition.

Back in 2007, when Madame Mirage was coming out, he was at a convention that I was at. I was hopeful that I would be able to get a Supergirl commission from him but the line was too long for me to even get to him.


I know that the entire super-family is down and out on this cover but this still makes me hopeful that one day I'll see Rocafort again to get a commission for my collection. I mean, that is just a beautiful rendition of Supergirl, even if she is trounced.




Now I will admit that he can sometimes veer to the cheesecake. Heck, that might have been one of the main purposes of Madame Mirage. But there is no denying his talent. I mean everything works here. You can feel Harper diving in the forefront of the cover with her hair flying, the smoke rising. Just solid.


But I think his style isn't just for cheesecake. Certainly the Doomsday cover shows that. But here is another cover showing more classic super-heroes.

I see that Rocafort is also listed as doing a Superman variant cover in April. I hope does more work for DC.

1 comment:

Martin Gray said...

I've never heard of this fella, it certainly is good work.