Superman Unlimited #16 came out this week, chapter three in the Kingdom of Zod storyline. We are one third done and I don't know if I quite grasp this whole plotline. But this was a classic middle chapter, nudging the story along and making sure everyone knows what is going on. It does have a wonderful moment in the middle with Supergirl and Superboy. But otherwise, this felt a bit like treading water.
Most importantly for me, we at least heard that all this Kryptonite is affecting our Kryptonian characters. But I don't know if it is enough for me to be happy. We have seen Kryptonians buckle in pain when near a small piece of Kryptonite in the past. How can they be flying around a city made of Green K and just complain a little about how it feels. Sigh. I'll get past this ... maybe.
Dan Slott captures the voice of all the characters here. I like his Kara. I like his young Superboy. I like his Jon Kent. But he doesn't have too much to do here.
Rachael Stott is on art this issue and she brings a sort of breathy flair to the issue. I think the action sequences flow. But her art is perfect for that Supergirl/Superboy moment in the middle. I really liked that section, the highpoint of the book for me.
But I still don't quite understand what is going on in this story. Why would Zod think unleashing a Green K tsunami on Earth be good for him?
You might remember the cliffhanger from the last chapter, Prime and Conner ready to throw down with Zod.
Look at the massive amount of Green K in this country. The whole city block is Green K.
Zod is able to handle the two of them by blasting their Green K shield gauntlets and tossing them towards the Kryptonite mine.
But before that, FINALLY, we hear that Green K is hurting Zod.
Remember, Zod is unshielded and flying around a Green K CITY and is able to fight off two super-heroes. I still don't understand it. But at least we learn that he has the weakness. But we haven't seen he has the weakness at all.
Remember, Zod is unshielded and flying around a Green K CITY and is able to fight off two super-heroes. I still don't understand it. But at least we learn that he has the weakness. But we haven't seen he has the weakness at all.
Zod's 'super senses' also recognize that Kal-El is in the city. In fact, he is confused because he senses two of them (we know it is older and younger Clark).
He sends the Eradicatrix off to find Superman and kill him.
Instead the Eradicatrix finds the JLAers, all weakened by the Green K plague which is impacting humans now too. (In fact, at least in story, the humans seem to be more impacted by the radiation than the non-shielded Kryptonians!)
I like the look of the Eradicatrix. I like that Booster Gold realizes a time bubble shouldn't fall into villain hands.
We see Mary Marvel holding up a weakened Superman. But Eradicatrix clues us in that this Superman isn't really Superman.
Turns out it is J'onn posing as Superman so our hero can slip away in the sewers.
Mary calls down the lightning and civilian Mary and J'onn in 'generic human form' slip away too.
Nice strategy by J'onn and Mary.
Meanwhile, Superman is in the sewers which luckily are filled with lead pipes, dampening the Green K radiation.
Lead pipes?? I guess if I can deal with all the super-heroics out there, I can believe that in 2027 there are still lead pipe sewers. And at least this gives us a reason why Superman hasn't keeled over dead by now.
Our hero learns that Lois is being held in the palace and decides to head there.
And then the best moment.
Superman told Superboy to fly off before Zod could find him. How Superboy isn't dead by a city of Green K being around him is beyond me. He initially seems more irritated by it.
Anyways, he rescues Supergirl (he sees her S-shield and figures she must be a good guy) leading to this fantastic moment when Kara meets young Kal.
Stott does a great job here showing other versions of the characters meeting above them. I like the look of sheer joy on Kara's face when she recognizes this as young Kal, the person she was sent to protect, a person she hasn't met before.
The whole page is just filled with happiness. It reminded me of Bengal's variant cover of Rebirth Supergirl #8.
This great moment continues.
Her mission was to protect this younger Kal and she knows it. She gives him her K-shield gauntlet. That is a fantastic moment for her.
And he is overwhelmed learning that he isn't alone in this universe and hugs her tightly, a hug she reciprocates.
Kudos to Slott and Stott for just nailing this moment. Perfect all around.
The SuperForce are all succumbing to the Green K plague, sprouting Green K crystal tumors.
And we are reminded that the Kryptonite King is now 'The Man in the Green K Mask' in the dungeon.
Does this seem a bit much for Zod to do. Figured he'd just kill this guy. But I like the look. For sure this guy is either going to become the new Kryptonite Man or some version of Metallo.
You might recall that Jon didn't join everyone in El Caldero because he needed to check in with Steel.
I don't know if anything really happened with this side visit. Steel realized the Kryptonite is different than normal (which should be obvious since it is growing).
I am intrigued by Lana's transformation into Kryptonite Woman and I almost think it would be cool for her to stay like that. But we'll have to see.
With nothing more to keep him there, Jon sprints to El Caldero.
And just in time, weakened by Green K, Zod has donned Kryptonian armor and is ready to kill Lois.
I really liked this panel because it feels sooooo kinetic. Great job by Jon.
And then our Superman has entered the Kryptonian Castle and found a Kryptonian Battle Suit (haven't seen one of those in a while).
He says 'hi' to Lois and decides to throw down with Zod. I love how Superman talks a little smack with Zod. A little smack is allowed given their history.
So I think we nudged forward. I am very thankful for the Supergirl/Superboy moment which probably raises the grade of this issue significantly. Stott's art is perfect for that scene!
But I still don't think I quite get just what Zod is hoping to do here.
Overall grade: B-












No comments:
Post a Comment