Superman Father of Tomorrow #3 came out last week, meaning we are halfway through this Elseworlds look at what would happen if Jor-El was the lone survivor who made it to Earth.
This Jor-El is trying to be Superman combining his super-powers with his super-science to try make Earth a cleaner, safer place. And his heart seems to be in the right place. But the way this book is playing out, it seems like the people of the planet think he is more of a benevolent dictator.
Last issue, I complained a bit about the time jump between the first two issues and how it made some plot twists lack any power. I can't be surprised by Luthor's turn if I haven't seen him be an ally. This issue suffers from the same problem. We have clearly jumped some time ahead, an unclear amount but long, and so it is hard for me to be too invested in the plot. Last issue ended with Jor-El stating he was going to make free energy for everyone in the world to end conflicts. Did he do that? Who knows.
As a result, I am just not immeresed in this story by Kenny Porter which I think has some decent ideas in it.
The art by Danny Earls is a sort of thick-lined, blocky style which doesn't really mirror the new future Jor-El has envisioned. Perhaps that is the point. I do like his take on the Elseworld's magical characters.
Despite all he has done, there is still a criminal element utilizing his tech for weapons. This is a new intergang. And these guys say they are trying to survive, trying to get their cut. So whatever this world is like, it isn't a free utopia.
But I don't know what this world is like ... at all ... so hard to know if these guys are greedy? Oppressed? Deranged?
And even she is starting to wonder if Jor-El trying to reshape Earth is selfish. That sounds more like Lex in the main universe complaining that Superman is holding back humanity.
But last issue she was all for what he was doing. So how long has she been thinking this? And why has she been thinking it?
Last issue, Lex decided to turn on Jor-El. Recognizing that magic is a vulnerablity, Luthor seeks out Dr. Fate and asks to be an apprentice.
Lex says he has already visited a number of the magical denizens of this Earth and studied under them. Swamp Thing, Etrigan, Raven, Zatanna, Madame Xanadu, Deadman and ... Nightstalker? Dr. Occult? Who is in the lower right corner?
I do like Earls' take on these characters, especially his Madame Xanadu.
This is where the time leaps are also troubling. Jor-El is gray about the temples. Lois is full gray.
This is where the time leaps are also troubling. Jor-El is gray about the temples. Lois is full gray.
Somehow Martha is still alive. I suppose there is some math where it makes sense but it took me out of the story a bit.
But even Martha isn't sure what Jor-El is doing. Is he doing what he is doing for Earth's sake? Or to make up for a something else?
It is clear Jor has survivor's guilt, reliving the moment he got in the rocket and imagining his family burning up. But I don't think I know him well enough to get that sense of it. I am being told this, not shown.
The government isn't too happy with what Jor-El is doing either.
The government isn't too happy with what Jor-El is doing either.
Sam Lane has recreated the Captain Atom experiment we know to create a metal shell for him, armed with Parasite-gauntlets.
Now if Lois is old enough to be gray. Sam Lane was an accomplished soldier when she was born (we saw that here). So he has to be in his 70s or 80s. The guy looks ripped.
I am sure there could be some explanation like the experiment threw him forward in time like Capt. Atom. But having to create explanations in my head pulls me out of the story.
Lane has no problem with property damage, taking out a block and killing bystanders as he brawled.
Lane has no problem with property damage, taking out a block and killing bystanders as he brawled.
So he isn't a good guy.
And Lex isn't a good guy either. He stops Fate from sending a warning to the other magic users. It is clear he isn't a good guy either, gearing up to take on Jor-El.
As if Captain Atom/Lane and Magic Lex aren't enough, Lane finds out that a team of WILDCats has been formed to help take down Jor-El. And Lex isn't a good guy either. He stops Fate from sending a warning to the other magic users. It is clear he isn't a good guy either, gearing up to take on Jor-El.
With a cliffhanger like this, I hope we aren't going to time jump again. But even if we don't, I just don't know if I understand this world enough to be eager to read more. Maybe we'll get there.
Overall grade: C










No comments:
Post a Comment