Thursday, May 28, 2020

Luke Daab Legion Postcards


2020 has certainly been a bit crazy.

I guess that is putting it mildly.

Every so often I am reminded about the grace of humanity and the support of friends.

The other day, good friend Russell Burbage sent me a set of Legion post cards done by Luke Daab. This was an unexpected gift, a little ray of sunshine. As Wonka said, 'so shines a good deed in a weary world'. I can't thank Russell enough! I smiled for a long time when I opened the package.

Let's just start with the delightful Supergirl and Brainiac 5 postcard. I love how Kara is holding Brainy's arm and just looking at him so smitten. Look at those big eyes and that wide smile.

This is the Supergirl we want and need.

Now I have known Luke's work for a while and I am always floored by it. You definitely should look at his stuff so you have to check out his stuff here: daabcreatuve.com

You can also follow him at @daabcreative on Twitter.

As for Russell, he has been running the Legion of Super-Bloggers since its inception and I had the honor of being one of the contributors at the beginning, reviewing multiple runs of the Legion including my beloved 5YL. If you haven't checked out that site, head there:
https://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspot.com/





I also have to share a couple of my other favorites from this set sent to me.

Chameleon Boy is one of my favorite Legionnaires and I love his original blue scale mail costume so this card was a win.

And while Dream Girl isn't a favorite, this take on Nura is just fantastic. The look and body positioning is pure Dreamy.


Brainy and Kara are the only pair on one card. But I had to include one of the Legion power couples, Phantom Girl and Ultra Boy. I do love that Luke chose some classic costumes including Tinya's here. And Jo's mischievous look is spot on.

The rest of the set includes Dawnstar, Cosmic Boy, Matter-Eater Lad, Lightning Lad, Triplicate Girl, Sun Boy, Shadow Lass, Mon-El, Saturn Girl, and Superboy!

I can't thank Russell enough for this. It really brightened my day!

And kudos to Luke for putting together a great looking set of Legion cards!

3 comments:

Martin Gray said...

They are gorgeous, it’s hard to pic a favourite but I think Jo just wins! Nice one Luke and Russell.

Anonymous said...

Not a fan of the anime' style, but its a nigh perfect depiction of the Querl-Kara relationship, "The Cheerleader thats completely smitten with the President of the Chess Club"

:)

JF

Anonymous said...

Those are real cute. I like that style.

"This is the Supergirl we want and need."

I miss Pre-Crisis Kara so badly...

By the way, Supergirl 41 is already "out". At the very least Supergirl is again behaving as Supergirl in her own book.