Thursday, April 19, 2018

Plastic City Comic Con


This weekend I will be heading to a new local con, the Plastic City Comic Con. Here is a link:
http://www.plasticcitycomiccon.com/

This seems like just the sort of low key con I could use right now. It a vendor heavy convention where I will be going to (gasp) thumb through comics and buy them! We finally leaving the doldrums of winter here. We are approaching my 'big con' season. This will be a great place to ease in.

And I am ready! I have heard only very good things about this con. Seems like a 'true' comic convention.

But it isn't all just shopping because a creator whose work I truly enjoy, J.M. DeMatteis, is going to be there as a guest of honor. And I can't wait to meet him.

DeMatteis has a long career with some major works in his oeuvre. Moonshadow, Spider-Man and Kraven's Hunt, JLA (Bwa-ha-ha) are just a couple of his biggest successes.

But I'm me, so I am bringing an eclectic group of books for signatures. And I am hoping he won't be too busy to answer some questions about these works. I will be bringing him  Wings , a little known Elseworlds which came out during the PAD Linda Danvers book.

I wonder if DeMatteis was a fan of that book. Did he pitch this or was it pitched to him? My gut tells me no one cares about this other than me. I wonder how often he gets asked about it.


And then I'll bring a number of Supergirl specific books he has been part of. I'll be interested to pick his brain about Justice League 3001. How did he and Keith Giffen work together? Was it intentionally a mishmash of all continuities? What did Superman do to tick of Lois so much??

I wonder how often he gets asked about that book!

I'll also bring the first Justice League. How could I not?

Anyways, I'll report back about this con. I am pretty pumped to go.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a great time.

"How did he and Keith Giffen work together? Was it intentionally a mishmash of all continuities? What did Superman do to tick of Lois so much??"

That's... a good question. Lois killed him once and was looking forward to kill him again, even though one thousand years had passed. One thousand years is a long time to hold a grudge. I wonder if Matteis and Giffen pondered over Lois' motivations prior to her creation or they merely decided that her role would be the behind-the-scenes antagonist before figuring out why. Let us remember the book was a kind-of-black comedy story in the beginning, and Lois all but disappeared after Styx made it to the scene and everything got grim and serious.

Anonymous said...

I love wings so much. I couldn't find it in my country so I had to import it. Expensive as hell, but worth it to have a physical copy.

Bring an extra thank you to DeMatteis.

Martin Gray said...

Give JM my best too, he’s such an entertaining, thoughtful writer - and a classy chap.