Thursday, September 14, 2017

Supergirl In Wonder Woman Encyclopedia


It has truly been the year of Wonder Woman.

The Patti Jenkins movie crushed at the box office, redefining a DC superhero blockbuster movie and proving that the relentless, dark, gritty vision of Zack Snyder doesn't need to be the primary vision of the DCEU. It amazes me that the movie is still in theaters despite now being available digitally. I loved the movie. And as the news keeps pouring in about it (Patty Jenkins just got hired to direct the sequel!!) , I felt I somehow needed to acknowledge it and honor it.

I also think that the Rebirth Wonder Woman book has been spectacular. Rachel Kimsey's performance of a Saiyan-like Wonder Woman on JLAction has been too much fun. The Professor Marston and the Wonder Women documentary is about to air. And DC Superhero Girls continues to plug along.

Diana is everywhere, deservedly. So why not join in the fun.

I forget if it was for a birthday or Christmas but somewhere along the way someone got me The Essential Wonder Woman Encyclopedia. Put together by Phil Jimenez and John Wells, the book is a fantastic resource. And, more importantly, seems to be cheap these days, stacked in the bargain section of my nearyby Barnes and Noble. Get it as a gift for someone!

But this is a Supergirl blog. So where am I going with this?



Well I was glad to see that Supergirl got her own entry in the encyclopedia which included a brief run-down of all the main interactions Kara and Diana have had. It turns out that I have covered most of these on the site.

I also like that they give a pretty decent rundown of Supergirl's original origin and life.

But we hear about the famous Zany Haney Brave and Bold story where Kara and Diana become debutantes in Paris. I definitely need to cover this one soon.

We hear about their battle over marrying Klamos.
We learn about Kara joining the fight against the Adjuticator.
We learn about Diana helping set up Kara in a new costume.
And we hear about Kara becoming an Amazon briefly.


The rest of the post covers the post-Crisis Supergirl, from the Matrix/Linda Danvers version through the Loeb reboot all the way up through New Krypton.

I have covered much of these stories as well including some of Amazons Attack with Wonder Girl.

The one issue I haven't covered is Justice Leagues: Justice League of Amazons. That is a crazy one-shot.

I'm thrilled Wonder Woman is getting her proper respect these days. It has been a long time coming.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The Patti Jenkins movie crushed at the box office, redefining a DC superhero blockbuster movie and proving that the relentless, dark, gritty vision of Zack Snyder doesn't need to be the primary vision of the DCEU."

And it was influenced by the Donner films.

I find HILARIOUS that while forum-dwellers try to dimiss those films as crappy campiness only loved by nostalgia-blinded fools (I've seen Snyder's films' fans dissing John Williams' score. Seriously...), they're still highly influential. The Dark Knight trilogy? Influenced by them. Wonder Woman? Influenced by them.

"I'm thrilled Wonder Woman is getting her proper respect these days. It has been a long time coming."

Definitely. The main ladies of the DC universe have been disrespected by decades.

It's nice seeing Supergirl in a Wonder Woman book. It makes me happy when a connection between both heroines is acknowledged. And it's pretty accurate, mentioning some obscure adventures! I'm impressed.

"But we hear about the famous Zany Haney Brave and Bold story where Kara and Diana become debutantes in Paris. I definitely need to cover this one soon."

Oh, yes. THAT story.

Supergirl and Wonder Woman's first joint adventure is wasted on a terribly written romance plot where two powerful heroines are lobotomized into becoming subservient to a pair of cretins who they've unexplainably fallen for. It was a bad omen of things to come.

Supergirl and Batgirl's first joint adventure was crazy but at the very least they teamed up, outsmarted two villains and saved their male mentors.

Anonymous said...

Supergirl and Batgirl despite having everything against them creativity wise (mostly sexism but a few other things as well) have managed to consistently shine as a team from 1968 till today...whereas the best Wonder Woman-Supergirl team up has yet to be written IMHO. Exactly why that is, I cannot say, but so far the Kara-Di team hasn't broken thru yet.

JF

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Anj. Will have to see if I can pick this up on the cheap as well. And yes, can't give enough
kudos for the Wonder Woman movie! FINALLY we get a DC movie that shows us a caring, heroic superhero! Also put
a HUGE grin on my face seeing the Supergirl TV cast getting into the promo of the movie with the clip of Melissa B,
Chyler L, Linda C and Teri H at the alien bar... and Melissa B had "borrowed" a set of WW boots and gauntlets from
"a friend." PRICELESS!

Rumors as well of Supergirl showing up in the Justice League movie in November. I'm taking this with a grain of
salt, but if were to happen...


Regards

Anonymous said...

"Rumors as well of Supergirl showing up in the Justice League movie in November. I'm taking this with a grain of salt, but if were to happen..."

It'd be great. The DCEU is largely a mess, but Supergirl making an appearance in a high-profile film would cement her status as an important player in the DC universe to the eyes of the mainstream audience.

Of course, she has to be treated right.

Anyway I'm not sure about those rumors. On the one hand, that hologram. Those bare legs weren't male hips. On the other hand, should an actress have been cast I think it'd be known for now. Moreover, the movie has to introduce at least three new characters and reintroduce Superman. I don't think they have enough time to introduce Supergirl properly.

I think the best we can hope for is a cameo.

Predictably you can find fans spouting that "we don't need two Kryptonians". The Justice League is about to face Darkseid. You absolutely need two Kryptonians.