Monday, September 11, 2017

GraniteCon 2017


As I have said many times, I am lucky enough to have a number of comic conventions that are near enough to my home that I can easily attend. One of the ones I have attended regularly has been the Granite State Comicon or GraniteCon for short. GraniteCon is going on this upcoming weekend and I'll be there.

Granite Con is a great con for me. After the hectic 'work atmosphere' feel that I have in bigger cons (like Boston or this year's Terrificon), Granite is a bit cozier and a bit more laid back. Of all the cons I go to, I tend to buy the most comics at GraniteCon because I actually have the time to thumb through books.

This is in no ways a knock to this convention, one of my favorites. The con always gets a couple of creators who I am dying to meet. Some of my best interactions with creators has happened here including (but not limited to) meeting Aaron Kuder, Jeremy Haun, Ron Marz, Jeff Parker, and Rebekah Isaacs.

And that trend continues this year. As I am only able to attend the con on Sunday, I don't know if I'll be able to get a commission ... but I remain hopeful.



I am definitely excited to meet Michael Cho. Cho has a sort of Darwyn Cooke-esque style which just screams Silver Age to me. Heck, he did the cover of the the Supergirl Silver Age Omnibus softcover book.

Cho does head sketches at cons so I am hopeful that I can sneak onto his day two list. But we'll see. Keep your fingers crossed.

Carlo Barberi is also going to be there.

Barberi has drawn a ton of books and a chunk of Deadpool but for me he is most fondly remembered for his work on the Justice League Unlimited book from the early 2000's. I'd love a sketch from him but I don't have any early information on him. Does he sketch at shows?

A friend is going and is most excited for meeting Paul Pelletier. It is somewhat surprising to me but I don't have much Pelletier in my collection.

There is the usual smattering of celebrities and cosplayers in attendance as well. If you are looking for a laidback convention with great guests, I'd definitely head to this con.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I am definitely excited to meet Michael Cho. Cho has a sort of Darwyn Cooke-esque style which just screams Silver Age to me. Heck, he did the cover of the the Supergirl Silver Age Omnibus softcover book."

I agree.

I love that cover. Simple and still oozes a kind of fairy tale-like charm, perfect for the Silver Age. I can even imagine a description based on the drawing: "In the quaint, tiny Midwestern town of Midvale, lives a smiling, sweet fifteen-year-old girl who is the world's mightiest female. Read her adventures across the galaxy and in the distant future!"

Good luck and happy hunt! Have a great time!