Tuesday, August 30, 2016

November 2016 Solicits


DC Comics' solicits for November came out last week and continued to build on the general optimism that Rebirth has garnered. While I have some questions about where things are going, at least books seem to be going somewhere. By month three of the New 52, I was already questioning the overall grim tone. Here, things feel different.

Here is a link to Newsarama's coverage:http://www.newsarama.com/30736-dc-comics-full-november-2016-solicitations.html

I have my usual quibbles. So read on!


SUPERGIRL #3
Written by STEVE ORLANDO
Art and cover by BRIAN CHING
Variant cover by BENGAL
“REIGN OF THE CYBORG SUPERMEN” part three! At last, Supergirl returns to Argo City! But when Kara Zor-El arrives back to her childhood home, a grim discovery awaits, courtesy of the Cyborg Superman! Supergirl must battle for the fate of not one but two worlds as yet another face from her past returns to stop her!


So a couple of things here.

One, I don't know if I will every get used to the sort of warped style of Brian Ching. Limbs seem thin and stretched. Everything is angular. I don't mind stylized art. I just think I will have to become accustomed to this look.

Next, it looks like Cyborg Superman has quasi-resurrected the dead on Argo City. In Supergirl Rebirth we learned from Lar-On that the soil of Argo had turned to Red Kryptonite.

It made me go back to look at what actually happened to Argo City in the New 52. Here was my post way back when:http://comicboxcommentary.blogspot.com/2012/03/argo-city-dcnu.html

So who knows if in the spirit of Rebirth that continuity will be forgotten. Or if the city didn't disintegrate in a blue sun. Or why Kara didn't get whammied by Red K back then. I suppose it is a sort of new world. We'll have to see how it all plays out.



ACTION COMICS #967
Written by DAN JURGENS
Art by TYLER KIRKHAM
Cover by CLAY MANN
Variant covers by GARY FRANK

“MEN OF STEEL” part one! LEX LUTHOR is under attack—and only Superman can save him! When the world’s most ingenious scientific mind took on the mantle of Metropolis’ new man of steel, the world took notice—and so did the mysterious Godslayer!

ACTION COMICS #968
Written by DAN JURGENS
Art by TYLER KIRKHAM
Cover by CLAY MANN
Variant covers by GARY FRANK

“MEN OF STEEL” part two! Superman must find and protect his oldest, most conniving enemy. But are the Godslayer’s actions justified? Will stopping Lex Luthor prevent catastrophe later? Plus, Lois’ investigation of the human Clark Kent takes a startling turn!

I definitely like this cover by Clay Mann playing up the 'who is really Superman' angle of Lex wearing the S-shield.

I haven't heard of Godslayer before so this must be new. Technically, Lex did become God-like in the Darkseid War. So I guess that counts.

But for me it is the Clark Kent mystery that is the hook! And Lois investigating! Excellent.


SUPERMAN #10
Written by PETER J. TOMASI and PATRICK GLEASON
Art and cover by PATRICK GLEASON and MICK GRAY
Variant cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT

“IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER” part one! For the first time, the Man of Tomorrow and the Boy of Steel team up with the Caped Crusader and the Boy Wonder in a father-son adventure you won’t want to miss! Damian Wayne has been hearing a lot about this mysterious new Superboy, and now’s his chance to find out who he is...

SUPERMAN #11
Written by PETER J. TOMASI and PATRICK GLEASON
Art and cover by PATRICK GLEASON and MICK GRAY
Variant cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT

“IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER” part two! Superman and Batman are up against the ropes, and it’s up to Superboy and Robin to save the day— but can they work together long enough to get the job done?

There was supposed to be a Super-Sons book at some point. Maybe this is the opening chapter. I like the cover playing up the optimism of Jon against the grit of Damian. And the Dads don't look too happy with each other.

I have liked Jon more than I thought I would so I am looking forward to this.



SUPERMAN ANNUAL #1
Written by PETER J. TOMASI and PATRICK GLEASON
Art and cover by JORGE JIMENEZ
“EARTH TO EARTH, ASHES TO ASHES”! Mr. Oz told Superman he was not what he thought. Now, Swamp Thing comes hunting for the Man of Steel to discover what strange connection this new Superman has to the planet. But their contact is something neither is prepared for, leading to Kal-El battling the Earth elemental who wants to bury him.


Hmmm, the old 'mistaking each other for enemies the heroes fight' plot.

I haven't read a Swamp Thing book in a long time so it'll be nice to catch up with an old friend. And hopefully this sheds a little light on the Mr. Oz mystery.

I like Jimenez' art so that will also be a treat.


SUPERWOMAN #4
Written by PHIL JIMENEZ
Art and cover by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO and RAY MCCARTHY
Variant cover by BEN OLIVER

“WHO IS SUPERWOMAN?” part four! Superwoman’s illness is getting worse—and so are the plans of Ultra-Woman! With the might of the Bizaress army and Lexcorp technology at her fingertips, Ultra Woman is nearing victory—and Lex Luthor may be the first to fall! Meanwhile, Lana struggles to carry on the legacies of her fallen friends—and the ghosts of her past will come back to haunt her!

We have seen Supergirl struggle in the shadow of Superman in the past. Now on this cover, Superwoman struggles under the weight of the S-shield in the shadow of the cousins. I hope we get to see Superman and Supergirl in the book, they aren't mentioned in the actual solicit.

I'm not a big fan of the 'hero slowly dying' plot in general as how long can you keep that up. I wonder what the 'cure' will be. 

And who is Ultra-Woman? Lucy Lane???


NEW SUPER-MAN #5
Written by GENE LUEN YANG
Art by VIKTOR BOGDANOVIC and RICHARD FRIEND
Cover by VIKTOR BOGDANOVIC
Variant cover by BERNARD CHANG

“MADE IN CHINA” part five! The revelations keep coming! Kong Kenan has learned the disturbing truth about the Chinese Freedom Fighters, and his next move could make or break his entire country! Meanwhile, the noticeably insane Human Firecracker unleashes the might of his secret weapon. Two words: Starro. Bomb.

I am a sucker for Starro so I like this solicit a lot. As I have said in reviews, this book has been entertaining. I like the idea of China making copies of the American super-teams. Human Firecracker instead of Human Bomb? Brilliant.



DC COMICS BOMBSHELLS #19
Written by MARGUERITE BENNETT
Art by MIRKA ANDOLFO, LAURA BRAGA and SANDY JARRELL
Cover by ANT LUCIA

The Batgirls are back! A mysteriously cloaked shadow calling himself “The Reaper” is upset at the events that occurred last time with Harvey Dent, and is determined to nip the problem in the bud—Dr. Hugo Strange, Killer Frost and the Penguin! Now, the Batgirls must use their collective detective skills to warn those villains first, before the Reaper gets to them!

Remember when this book had Wonder Woman and Supergirl fighting Nazis on the front?

While I am still enjoying this book, Bennett seems to be moving away from Diana and Kara. Bring them back! I miss them.

I know I am behind the times reading this on paper but I truly hope that The Reaper is some version of Andrea Beaumont and not Judson Caspian. And I love Hugo Strange so can't wait to see what he is like in this world.


SUPER POWERS #1
Written by ART BALTAZAR and FRANCO
Art and cover by ART BALTAZAR
Variant cover by FRANCO
Blank variant cover

Aw yeah, the World’s Greatest Heroes are back in a new, all-ages miniseries—except for Batman! Superman helps out by cleaning up in Gotham City, where he discovers a clue that sends Wonder Woman into space to find the Caped Crusader. Her journey brings her a step closer to Batman, but can she uncover the truth behind his disappearance? From the award-winning creative team that brought you TINY TITANS and SUPERMAN FAMILY ADVENTURES!

Hurrah! Franco and Baltazar back at DC for a miniseries.

These two usually like to explore all the corners of the DCU so I am looking forward to this. My Supergirls are too old for this fare now so I may be buying it just for me.

Not a bad month. 
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Now on this cover, Superwoman struggles under the weight of the S-shield in the shadow of the cousins."

I think that's Superwoman Lois Lane, not Kara. Check the S-shield (of course, I'd like it was Kara). I also hope Supergirl shows up in the other Superman books frequently.

Some books sound interesting. I look forward to read the adventures of Jonathan and Damian, and I pray for it not being a letdown (unlike the Power Girl/Huntress book. Seriously, how do you mess something so potentially awesome?)

(Slightly off topic but I read some few issues of Earth-2 Society before dropping it, and that Power Girl... isn't Power Girl. She behaves like early New 52 Kara. I hope we have the REAL Power Girl back someday. Hopefully in the main Earth and teaming up with Helena Wayne)

When I read Superman would meet the Swamp Thing I thought right away of the Silver Age Superman/Swamp Thing crossover.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the "Name of the Father" story arc in the "Superman" title will serve as a "backdoor pilot" for the Super-Sons book.

Martin Gray said...

'Ultrawoman'? Hmm, maybe an Earth 3 Kara who was off-planet when Darkseid or the Anti-Monitor or whomever destroyed it?

Anj said...

Thanks for comments.

I think Super-Sons was supposed to have been released as a title by now. Maybe the twice monthly schedule for the main books made Sons need to be delayed.

I really hope we don't get an evil Kara in the DCU. Please!!!!

And yes, DC wasted the Worlds' Finest book. Too bad.