Monday, September 13, 2010

Baltimore Comic-Con: Adam Hughes Commission And Other Tid-Bits


Well, I went to the Baltimore Comic-Con with a list of commissions I wanted to get, comics I wanted to get autographed, and questions for some creators I was hoping to get answered. I think I did quite well with all of those hopes. But one thing I never expected to get was an Adam Hughes' commission even if it was a quick head sketch. It is unreal how much grace he can convey here.

Hughes runs a tight ship with certain times blocked out for issue signings and head sketches. I was first in line for his last session of the con, and got in line at 3PM for the start time of 4PM. While in line I watched him finish a Jean Grey Phoenix commission that was fantastic. Earlier in the day, while walking by his booth, I watched him finishing a Supergirl commission that was eye-popping. In fact, Hughes' booth always has a crowd around it, people just soaking in his ability as he works his way through his commission list.

This quick sketch cost me a $20 donation to an English Sheepdog rescue charity (there is a minimum $5 donation but I threw in the extra because I was pretty pumped). I thought that was a nice thingfor Hughes to do. I still might try one day to get a 'real' commission from him.

Supergirl and the LSH #23 autographed by Mark Waid, Barry Kitson, and Adam Hughes
I was also happy to get this issue signed by Hughes as well as Mark Waid and Barry Kitson. That Supergirl cover is just iconic.

As for some other tidbits ...

It was sort of crest-fallen to find out that Amanda Conner was not doing any commissions in Baltimore. I was so hoping to get something from her. She shared a booth with her husband Jimmy Palmiotti and that booth had to be one of the busiest ones at the con. There was always ... I mean ALWAYS ... a line to get up to them for some face time. As a result, there was also a little bit of pressure to 'keep the line moving' so I didn't have much time to chat with either of them. One thing I did find out is that Conner is using the cover of Supergirl's first appearance in Action Comics #252 as the template for the DC 75th Variant cover of Supergirl # 58. It is a safe choice for the variant and I am interested to see her take on it.



I also was able to ask J.G. Jones what emotion he was trying to invoke with this cover of Final Crisis #3 which you may recall was vilified by some as showing an overly sexualized or stupid Supergirl. You may I also recall that I loved the cover thinking it showed some fear on Supergirl's face, the finger to the mouth an homage to Jim Mooney.

Jones was surprised by the reaction to the cover. He tried to paint what he thought Supergirl would look like if she saw Darkseid 'falling through the universe' on the horizon ... a mix of shock and fear.

Supergirl Movie Adaptation autographed by cover artist Jose Luis Garcia Lopez

I made my pitch to Frank Cho for a 'quick sketch' ... a $50 dollar donation to the HERO initiative for a five minute commission. Alas, and not surprisingly, he said no. I will keep asking every time I see him though.

Lastly, I was able to ask Marv Wolfman if he was surprised that the cover of Crisis on Infinite Earths #7 has become the image of Crisis. He admitted 'yes' but quickly added that it is a great cover, a great image.

But the best part of this convention was being able to meet and talk all things Supergirl with Sterling Gates and Jamal Igle.

So overall, it was a tremendous experience at the Baltimore Comic-Con, one I hope to enjoy again some day.

6 comments:

Nikki said...

That just makes me love that final crisis cover even more. Can you imagine 'er guys, darkseid just fell and made a hole in the universe. I'm not getting him out! This may be a problem, or a shoe in for the World's Funniest Home Videos'

Matt Camp said...

Why did Cho say no?

Unknown said...

Supergirl on the Finial Crisis cover looks more like she's in deep in thought.

She might be thinking:

"What should I do to bring those who over-sexualized me or make me look stupid, to justice???" :)

Or

"RAO, I want a costume redesign with NO midriff and skirt, they are over-sexualized."

Gene said...

Congratulations in obtaining all your commissions Anj! Too bad Frank Cho and Amanda Conner were not doing commissions. They have some of the best hands in the business.

Thank you for finding out what Conner will base the 75th Aniversary Supergirl cover off of. She did redraw that cover scene before with Power Girl flying out of her ship in front of Superman. Did you get any idea what she will be working on in the future? She has been drawing a lot of Marvel covers lately.

Honestly, the one thing I don't like about J.G. Jones' Final Crisis cover is that Supergirl's "S" shield is covered up.

Anj said...

Why did Cho say no?

At lot of this is hearsay, because I didn't ask specifically, but I hear he doesn't do con commissions.

I had read somewhere that at one point he did '3 minute commissions' and thought any sketch would be better than none. I also thought adding a money value for charity might help.

I wasn't surprised when he said no. I knew it was a more like a dream.

Anj said...

Thank you for finding out what Conner will base the 75th Aniversary Supergirl cover off of. She did redraw that cover scene before with Power Girl flying out of her ship in front of Superman. Did you get any idea what she will be working on in the future? She has been drawing a lot of Marvel covers lately.

I really felt pressured to move the line along so didn't get to talk much with either of them. Anyways, I was glad to get the variant info.

I love her work.