Saturday, October 17, 2009

Thoughts On Supergirl #50?



It is hard to believe that Supergirl #50 is just a few months away, scheduled for a February release. It seems like just yesterday that the first issue hit the stands. But I am all about looking forward ... and in this day and age any comic hitting 50 issues is a big deal.

And it sounds like Supergirl #50 is going to be a big deal. Sterling Gates gave the vaguest of teases on Twitter but it sounds like the issue will be big. Here are his tweets in the subject:

Huge news about Supergirl #50. Cannot WAIT to share.

As for Supergirl #50 news, I'm afraid I can't say anything until the solicit hits. Sorry. But it's pretty big news, folks. I flipped.


Huge news? Hmmmm ....

Those tweets got the attention of the boards over on Newsarama and people (including me) have been putting up their ideas as to what may be to come in the issue. Here is the link for that thread: http://www.newsarama.com/common/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9784

But I figured I might as well post the question here as well. Any thoughts on what the huge news in Supergirl #50 will be? Here are my thoughts:




I think it is going to be a double sized issue, much like this Supergirl #50.


I think there will be a new costume, or at least some more tweaks of the current version.


And I think a new rogue gets added to the gallery, hopefully a reimagined Blackstarr. Of course, a rematch with Superwoman would be a pretty big deal too.

I think by then we will have a better idea of Lana's illness. Since that month also corresponds with the end of the World of New Krypton book my guess is we will see Kara back on Earth and acting as Linda Lang.

Any other thoughts? Hopes?

11 comments:

Gene said...

Supergirl battles through space and time to preserve and protect every incarnation of the Girl of Steel across multiple dimensions and earths.

The experience cements Kara's confidence in who she is and her place in the DC Universe. She also rescues Linda Danvers from obscurity and together they form a new all female superhero team with Batgirl and Mary Marvel.

Helen Slater makes a cameo appearance while giving a concert that Kara and Freddy attend on their first date.

Anonymous said...

both yours and anj's comments are intersting.

I just want Linda Danvers back.

Hopefully, she isn't in Hell anymore. :D

-ealperin

Unknown said...

I just hope the start of a new storyline with another foe.. reactron and Superwoman has been the only ones for many months, time for a change.

As for the costume.. already said I prefer the classic look which is a short skirt, knee high boots, bare legs and a blue top with red cape.

I worry everytime a new costume is announced.

I've been looking at all previous issues and I feel the best art for Supergirl came from Ian Churchill and Alex garza and then Jamal Igle. Except for the way Churchill drew Supergirl of course, which I didn't like at all. Garza made a very cute and young looking Supergirl, too bad he used an ugly headband there. Drew Johnson could have been a good artist for Supergirl but he (and I understand it was editorial decision) relied too much on the colorist so his artwork looks like.. I don't know.. not complete ?

Some of the current coloring by Nei is a bit saturated or perhaps is the printing.

For #50 I want the introduction of an arch-enemy and I don't think Reactron or Superwoman can be that arch-enemy. reactron is just too convinient with his kriptonite weapons and Superwoman belongs to the New Kripton storyline so she should have to be develop further to become an arch-foe and use another name since the one female I like to see as Superwoman is Linda from PAD's run.

Anj said...

The experience cements Kara's confidence in who she is and her place in the DC Universe. She also rescues Linda Danvers from obscurity

While I agree with the sentiment to bring Linda Danvers back, I still think it too early to insert her in Kara's title. Linda Lang needs to be involved more first.

Trust me ... I am a huge Danvers fan. She needs to be brought back somewhere.

Anj said...

Helen Slater makes a cameo appearance while giving a concert that Kara and Freddy attend on their first date.

BTW, thanks for the laughs. That was an awesome post.

Anj said...

I just want Linda Danvers back.

Same here.

Anj said...

I worry everytime a new costume is announced.

I just love the red skirt look ... so I would love to see it come back.

But I understand your concerns.

For #50 I want the introduction of an arch-enemy and I don't think Reactron or Superwoman can be that arch-enemy.

I agree that the title is Reactron'd out. I think after this arc he will be out of commission for a while.

As for Superwoman, she can't stay naked in the mountains forever. Even if she doesn't come back for a battle, I'd like to hear more about her return.

TalOs said...

Personally, first and foremost, I'm hoping against hope for 1: the surprise official return of our Pre-COIE E-1 'red head band' Kara Zor-El to the main DCU proper while the Blackest Night mega event is going on (only NOT in the form of some Black Lantern member yet instead as her alive and healthy self) who the Guardians of OA themselves have secretly been nurturing this whole entire time until now where she's finally ready to make her official return to the all new main DCU Earth proper as a SUPERHEROIC heroine wielding the mantle of Superwoman (instead of Lucy). 2: the iconic movie costume to make it's rightful debut proper (only tweaked to have it look even more contemporary like.) 3: bring in "Madam Selena" (even if she's referred to as being "Madam. S") as well as Blackstar, Lesla Lar (Satan Girl) and PAD's own Buzz and the Supergirl version of Magog (I think he was referred to as being "Lord Xenon"?) 4: giving us Lena Thorul (Lex Luthor's sister for those who don't know) and PAD's Linda Danvers herself with Linda and Pre-COIE E-1 Superman's daughter Ariella with her to boot being added to her supporting cast members and finally 5: Captain Marvel II and Post-Crisis Kara Zor-El II becoming an item, heh. ;)

TalOs said...

Gene said...

Helen Slater makes a cameo appearance while giving a concert that Kara and Freddy attend on their first date.

AND this too while we're at it! ;)

Anonymous said...

I would pay real good money to see "Helen Slater" give her autograph to a blushing fan-girlish "Linda Lang" post concert.
That would jut gladden m' heart.

John Feer

TalOs said...

Heh, you an me both it seems! ;)