Monday, October 12, 2009

Baltimore Comic-Con Wrap-Up


I was again unable to attend the Baltimore Comic-Con this year. Octobers tend to be a busy time for me here. Escaping for a weekend is nearly impossible. Luckily, a number of the usual comics sites did a good job detailing some of the info heard and seen there. Comic Book Resources posted the best review of the DC Nation panel that happened there. Here is the link:



Here is the more Supergirl relevant stuff. (And sorry about the spacing. Something isn't acting right in the text window here.)

Igle divulged some details about his upcoming Supergirl storyline with writer Sterling Gates. "I finished Supergirl #46 which is the last part of the 'Hunt for Reactron.'" he said. "They found him! More on the other end, he found them and it's not good. It's not a good situation. We've got that going on. We've got action which is going on in Supergirl #46 and some messed up crap is going to happen."

Not much new being reported here other than the fact that this battle could get ugly. I wonder if one of the Metropolis 3 is going to suffer during this battle.

The last few issues have had Igle doing some bigger splashier battle pages so to hear him say ther will be a lot of 'messed up' action in Supergirl #46 makes me excited to see what is in store. Of anyone, Reactron has the ability to really hurt Kryptonians. But I also wonder if Supergirl will witness some manifestation of the Flamebird or Nightwing entities.

"We're pushing the super books really hard now," said Sattler. "This is something that I started talking about way back when Geoff came onto Action Comics. This isn't going back in six months. This isn't a temporary thing. We're kind of at the hal;fway point. This is a big story we've got. It's not an event, it's just a bunch of books working together to tell a huge story. James Robinson and Greg Rucka have done a great job with Flamebird and Nightwing and the Guardian and Mon-El and giving everyone a different taste of what Superman can be like and what the universe can be like. We keep saying, it keeps building. If you look, we went from a bottle to a planet at the halfway, so imagine how much more we have to do with that story."

Well I wondered in my review of World of New Krypton #8 where we were in the big story and now we have an answer. Ian Sattler states that we are at the 'halfway point' of the overall story. Thatmeans we are looking at least until next summer before the resolution of the New Krypton storyline. We have to be looking at an Earth/New Krypton war as next year's mega-event.

I like that Sattler at least talked up the Superman books. While he says that the books are building to something, I still think it was very risky for DC to decide to keep Superman out of his own books for a year. I could easily see some fans jumping off Action Comics and Superman and only buying WONK and Secret Origin.

Igle then continued:

"On a personal note for me, I'm going to be taking a few months of Supergirl off, I'm going to be off from #47 to #49 and then come back for #50. In between I'm going to be doing World's Finest #3 which is the first team-up between Supergirl and Stephanie Brown, the new Batgirl." The issue will also be written by Supergirl writer Sterling Gates.

I keep waiting to hear more about Supergirl #50. Is it double-sized? Will there be a new costume? Does it mark the return of Superwoman?

While I am glad to hear Jamal Igle will be back with #50 and will be doing the Supergirl issue of World's Finest, I will miss seeing his interiors on the main book for those three months.

One thing I was happy to hear is that next year's Baltimore Comic-Con will be in August making it much easier for me to try to make it there. My friend went again this year and said it was a lot of fun.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have fear about the new costume, I known about the costume ever since I did the 'costumes' image and left a grey siloutte at the end, later Jamal said there was not going to be a new costume so I guess the first time he said that was like a mistake from his part. Anyway, now the rumor is that the new costume will feature 'shorts' not 'hot pants' , but shorts..

This rumor doesn't come from jamal itself or from anyone related to Supergirl team, but from DA where some drawings of costume for Supergirl were done, apparetly at request from DC and 'shorts' were sugested, here's one of them:

http://mhunt.deviantart.com/art/Supergirl-091909-137578522

Can't find the image where the above comment is made so it could all be made up.

I don't think I'll like it, I prefer her to keep her general look: mini skirt, knee high boots, bare legs, blue top, red cape.

I made this thinking of making something 'new' yet staying in those guidelines:


http://mhunt.deviantart.com/art/Supergirl-091909-137578522

Unknown said...

Link correction:

http://americanninjax.deviantart.com/art/Superlady-Lumps-137996755

The sample with 'shorts' made by other artist based on (supposely) one design sent to DC.

TalOs said...

Hmmm, no disrespect to Superlady Lumps intended but that particular look just looks a tad wee bit too rushed in overall design for my tastes. :/

Mauricio, yours I truly adore but as I said on deviantART time prior (and I only ask that you please believe me when I say that I mean no disrespect by the following) I honestly believe if you were to add the "S" shield bracelet from "Smallville" on her left wrist, swap the belt for the "V" shaped one and change her red boots "M" trim to yellow/gold in color I think it would pop out even more so bro. ;)

Unknown said...

Maybe I'll try out those adjustments. :)
I was going with original costume as a base when I made the belt 'straight'. The bracelet comes fromt eh Smallville tv series, i wonder if they'll introduce that on the comic.

Anj said...

I have fear about the new costume, I known about the costume ever since I did the 'costumes' image and left a grey siloutte at the end, later Jamal said there was not going to be a new costume so I guess the first time he said that was like a mistake from his part. Anyway, now the rumor is that the new costume will feature 'shorts' not 'hot pants' , but shorts.

Thanks for the links. I really like your stuff.

I guess I will reserve judgment on a 'shorts' costume until I see it actually done.

It's funny, I have never been a huge fan of the current uniform but I love Eddy Barrows' 'longer shirt' version in Balckest Night:Superman. If it was always like that I would love it.

Unknown said...

If you search for something like 'Supergurl meme' you'll see other designs with shorts.

As always, I'll prefer the movie costume.