Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Boston Comicon And A Stephane Roux Commission



This weekend is the next Boston Comic Con ( http://www.bostoncomiccon.com/ )!

This convention just keeps growing in terms of size and the creators that it is bringing in. You might recall that at the last convention I got to meet Jim Cheung and Mike Allred (http://comicboxcommentary.blogspot.com/2009/04/boston-comiccon-roundup-and-jimmy.html ). At prior cons I have met Carmine Infantino, Jim Steranko, and others.
This convention seems huge with a lot of big names in comics in attendance.

The list of creators this time is incredible and includes Walt and Louise Simonson, Tim Sale, Herb Trimpe, Khoi Pham, Cliff Chiang, Geof Darrow, Dave Mack, Mike McKone, Stephane Roux, Jim Calafiore, and Scott Wegener.

That means I have a lot of issues to bring for signatures and a veritable smorgasbord of talented artists from whom to try to grab a commission. I realize that I have been doing this a while when I already have commissions from some of the guests attending. I already have posted myCliff Chiang and Scott Wegener commissions.

Here is a Stephane Roux commission I got at the Baltimore Comic Con in 2007.



I loved Roux's run as the cover artist on Birds Of Prey so sought him out at the beginning of the convention. I was at the bottom of his list so his agent wasn't sure if Roux would be able to get to it. But then the agent told Roux that he had not brought any bristol board paper for the artist to use. Armed with a full pad, I exchanged a stack of paper to be moved higher on the list.

The result is this very heroic shot of Supergirl rushing into action. I love the pleated skirt.

I am sure that he will have a full list again.


As for me, I have two main targets.

One is Tim Sale. I loved his story in his issue of Solo so much it was one of the first back issues I reviewed on this blog ( http://comicboxcommentary.blogspot.com/2008/06/it-came-from-back-issue-box-solo-1-tim.html). Sale has such a classic look. I plan to run to his table in hopes of getting on his short list.



I also really like Jim Calafiore's style so I have contacted him and reserved a spot on his commission list. Calafiore's stuff was great on Gotham Underground. And, yes I am admitting I collected Countdown, but I thought his stuff there was very good too. I think he does a very good Donna Troy.

Anyways, I am sure I will provide an update and post any commissions I get early next week.

5 comments:

Gene said...

I liked Jim Calafiore's art when I read Gotham Underground too. Looking forward to seeing that commission.

Do you like Terry Dodson's work? I just finished reading Wonder Woman: The Circle, and the art in that arc is exquisite. Dodson designed the Supergirl bust you bought last August, but I think he would draw a great Supergirl commission.

Anj said...

I liked Jim Calafiore's art when I read Gotham Underground too. Looking forward to seeing that commission.

Thanks for the post.

I will make sure I put up the Calafiore commission when I get it.

I liked his art in Underground as well and that's what spurred me here.

Do you like Terry Dodson's work? I just finished reading Wonder Woman: The Circle, and the art in that arc is exquisite.

I think Dodson's stuff is very solid. I can only imagine how difficult it is to get on his commission list and how high his price must be.

He did a Supergirl story in Showcase '96 which was a prologue to the Peter David series. Maybe I should dig that out and post about it.

Colin said...

Be sure to get there early for Tim Sale. His list will fill up quickly.

TalOs said...

Man love your Supergirl commissions, heh! ;)

Hope you have a real blast there, Anj! :D

Anj said...

Be sure to get there early for Tim Sale. His list will fill up quickly.

I know.

I am trying to decide to be there early or ridiculously early.