Saturday, August 8, 2009

Women Of The DC Universe Supergirl Bust


The latest addition to the Supergirl collection at home was this Women of the DC Universe series 2: Supergirl bust designed by Terry Dodson.

It is a nice complement to the Adam Hughes designed bust from the first series. Both have the same base and so look very nice when displayed near each other.

The design here is pretty with a young and happy appearing Supergirl bending a metal bar. I don't have a good explanation for why the skirt is red here. This is more of a riff on the Supergirl from the later Justice League Unlimited cartoon episodes. The skirt here also seems a bit short with some of her thigh peeking out.



Here is a view from the side. This gives you a better view of the pointy sleeves I like so much.



And the view from behind showing a long enough cape to reach the base and nicely detailed hair.



The sketch on which the bust was based in shown on the box.

Look at the expression on Dodson's original art. This is not the happy-go-lucky face which made it to the statue.

The bust Supergirl looks like she might be saying 'look at how cool this is ... under Earth's yellow sun I can bend steel!'.

The sketch Supergirl looks a bit more tough as she shows off that sly smile. That Supergirl looks like she might be talking to a super-villain saying something like 'hey, look at this twisted steel bar ... your spine is going to look like this about 5 seconds from now'. I really would have liked that statue!

This is a fine piece and worthy of being added to the shrine. It is a bit pricey at $55 but I think it is worth it.

9 comments:

Saranga said...

Oh I dunno, I think the statue looks a bit intimidating too. Ina good way! She's obviously having fun with it.

wonder warrior said...

Terry Dodson was my fav artist for wonder woman, the figure line based on his work were the best lookin, that bust is beautful.

Guyalice said...

Snooping at the chunk of your library visible in the picture, I love how you've got Fallen Angel right next to it. :)

TalOs said...

wonder warrior said...

Terry Dodson was my fav artist for wonder woman, the figure line based on his work were the best lookin, that bust is beautiful.

My sentiments exactly except for 'em giving her a red handkerchief for a skirt and the cape looking more like that of a capette, which I hate.

Anj said...

Terry Dodson was my fav artist for wonder woman, the figure line based on his work were the best lookin, that bust is beautful.

Dodson is usually solid on anything he does and I thought his Diana was really good.

That said, I am loving Aaron Lopresti's work on Wonder Woman.

Anj said...

Snooping at the chunk of your library visible in the picture, I love how you've got Fallen Angel right next to it. :)

Thanks for the post.

I have commented in the past that Fallen Angel (especially the DC series) was Linda Danvers v2.0.

So those trades end up on the 'Supergirl' book shelf.

And-Ru said...

Hmmm. I think she looks a bit skanky.

Rick said...

The red skirt pisses me off. I'd color it if I bought it.

Anonymous said...

I just picked this one up and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it yet. I reviewed the Supergirl and Batgirl busts before and they're awesome, and I prefer Dodson as an artist, but something about this one is a little off. I might just try to repaint it.