Friday, September 4, 2026

Review: Supergirl Survive #4


Supergirl Survive #4 came out this week and was, for me, the strongest issue of the story so far. As this story of a young Kara protecting a younger Kal while trying to stay ahead of kidnappers and evil scientists has unfolded, I have found myself more and more enamored of this young Supergirl. She exhibits all the things I love in the Supergirl character. Loving, loyal, and sweet when she needs to be. Determined, intelligent, and fierce when the time is right. All rolled together.

The beginning of the title seemed a little too fussy for me with nonlinear storytelling that didn't add much. But now that we are moving forward with the story, it has just clicked more.

Writers Ethan Parker and Griffin Sheridan show us this guardian Kara teaching Kal how to use his burgeoning powers on a yellow sun planet. She really is at times big sister and at times mother figure. It is completely sweet. 

But they keep the adventure and journey to Earth moving forward by introducing a new story element that made me smile, Brainiac 5. For long time Supergirl fans, Brainy is a huge part of her mythos and for many (like me) he is who she should be romantically linked to. Seeing this version of Brainy, a bit more cuddly version of the classic Querl, made this endearing. Add a few more Easter Eggs and you get a very good book.

Rod Reis continues to stun me on the book with his art. There is this sort of painterly/colored pencil feel to the book that soften it a bit, adding to the emotional tone here. He draws a young Kal perfectly, something which not all comic artists can do. 

We even get a solid cliffhanger to lead us into the next issue.

I am really enjoying this! On to the details.


Last issue, a version of Mxyzptlk sent Kara and Kal to a yellow sun world (not Earth).

It is completely fun to see Kara flying easily and trying to teach Kal how to float and point. He is the classic school age kid, declaring he isn't a baby, easily frustrated, and trying to do his best.

And there is Kara to hold his hand and help him. Here, he manifests heat vision something Kara hasn't done. 

I love that Nightwing is a cartoon hero on Krypton! But hard to reconcile him knowing a cartoon when he was a baby in a car seat when Krypton blew up. Still, I love that nod to Krypton culture and Nightwing.


All is not perfect on this eden because the planet goes through a massive storm cycle every so often.

Nice nod that the planet is Plastino-979, named after Al Plastino who drew Action Comics #252. It is a shame Jim Mooney (who drew almost every other Supergirl story in Action Comics) doesn't get name dropped more but it would be hard to name a planet or moon 'Mooney'. 



The storms come quick and actually can impact even the super-powered cousins.

After all his bravado, I like how Kal is a little scared here. He should be. He is a kid.

Even better is Kara remaining calm and not belittling him. Simply saying 'me too buddy' as she flies them out of harm's way is so caring. We know the plan was for older Kara to protect Kal even in the main universe but we have never got to see it. This is exactly how I think that would go and I am here for it.


The storm does a number on the two and they are knocked unconscious.

They are revived by Brainiac 5. 

<sigh> I miss hair on Brainy.

But this Brainiac has been exiled to this world by other Coluans and is a tech guy on a world with almost no tech. That is new!


Despite their near omnipotence, Kara says the two cousins need to move on. They have been one step ahead of their pursuers and need to stay that way and end up on Earth. (I wonder if it wouldn't be safer to stay there and just beat the snot out of pursuers?)

Brainy knows about Earth and knows it is far away. But perhaps there is a way to wormhole their way there.

I like this Brainy. He seems shy and a bit sweet.


Brainy says he will help Kara because it also means he will get off the planet and nearer to civilization.

After all he has been stuck on that planet for 276 years. This has to be a nod to Action Comics #276, his first appearance! Nice Easter Egg. (That review is from 16 years ago!!!)


We jump forward over a year. I wonder if we will learn more about that time gap, leaning into the nonlinear style we saw earlier in the book. But I don't know if we necessarily need it.

Brainy, Kara, and Kal are in a ship in orbit around a 'nameless planet' with a 'Platinum Alley' where Kara is looking for a dealer to provide a power source for their space-jump.

Lots to love in this scene. One, a small detail but Kara's hair is longer, a sign that time has passed. Second, she is communicating with Kal via (I am guessing) super-ventriliquism? They use the codenames Flamebird and Nightwing. All that is great.

But it has been a year. The fact that Kal is teasing Kara about Brainy being 'her boyfriend' is charming. And Kara blushing just adds to the sweetness of the scene.

I love it.

And then two juicy nuggest to get us intrigued about the next issue.

The power source is a Mother Box.
The space jump device is a Phantom Zone Projector.

That is a nice end to keep me invested. 

Nothing but good feelings about this issue. I am really liking this series.

Overall grade: A

No comments: