Friday, December 15, 2023

Review: Action Comics #1060


Action Comics #1060 came out this week, the penultimate issue in the Phillip Kennedy Johnson run, ending in the upcoming Action Comics Annual. It's hard to believe that it has been a nearly 3 year run on the Superman titles for Johnson. I had no idea who he was when he started on the book but I am going to follow him around comics, for sure.

I think one thing I have loved about Johnson's run has been his pacing. Arcs like Warworld weren't rushed but weren't slow either. They felt epic. Each issue pushed the story forward but left you wanting more.

The current Blue Earth storyline has a different feel. I almost wonder if Johnson had to compress the story he wanted to tell. These issues feel a little too rushed. A little too much happens off screen. Reveals and movement happen quick. This is still a very solid story. But the Earth Al Ghul reveal happened last month and we only have one more issue to wrap it up. That's fast.

I also wonder if Johnson isn't taking advantage of his last story to put in all the things he dreamed of. Superman wielding a sword? Done. Constantine and Superman? Bloodwynd? Why not play with the toys while you can. 

I do like that the axle of this story is Osul and Otho. I do wonder if they are going to stick around after Johnson leaves. Surely the Kryptonian myth of their family is foreshadowing.

As has mostly been the case, the back-up stories in the anthology aren't as solid as the main feature. Steve Orlando, Nicole Maines, and Fico Ossio gives us a story of Dreamer being recruited by Amanda Waller. It is pretty impressive how that Dreamer, a character created for the Supergirl show, gets a back-up feature in Action before Supergirl herself. I am pretty sick of Waller. Joe Casey and Dan McDaid give us a prologue of the upcoming Kneel Before Zod mini-series. But I have more questions than answers about what that story will be about. 

On to the book.


Last issue, Janan Al Ghul kidnapped Otho-Ra.  We get a very eerie splash from Eddy Barrows here as Janan discusses how her family had overrun countless universes, always killing the Supers first, before the Authortity shut her down.

I'm just a touch tired of multiverses and multiverse being overrun. I just a bit tired of Bat-families having incredible reach. But this is a solid page, leaning into the sort of dark magic Janan is using.

Also, in this scene, I liked how Otho is initially defiant. She calls out for Superman (Papa) and Supergirl (Aunt Kara). It's great how much she has become part of the family.


Now I still don't know exactly why Otho is so important to the plan. But we do learn that they have run into different versions of her, usually a 'valkyrie' of Warworld, wrapped in chains and soulbearer of Olgrun (which is in Osul on our world). 

Another powerful image by Barrows. I love the chains about her forearms like buckler shields but also showing her prowess and position. 

It does look like Janan might be using powers to gain sway over Otho. But why.


On Earth, super-powered Blue Earthers attack the alien section of Metropolis and driven off ... off panel, like last issue. This is that rushed feel.

But in that skirmish, Osul becomes angry, wanting to try and save his sister. In a moment that showcases her compassion and her relationship with the twins, Kara is able to get him to calm himself. Look at the top panel! That is Kara ... help, hope, and compassion for all.

We hear more of their family myth, twins who started out as enemies and then united to defeat a greater foe. Surely ... SURELY ... this is foreshadowing. Next issue, we will see the twins fight and then have Otho see the light and unite with Osul to defeat Janan. 


Early on in the issue, Superman tapped John Constantine on the shoulder to help him find Osul.

Now you might think Supes would ask a favor of more approachable magic users like Zatanna or Dr. Fate. That said, the interaction between John and Superman is a ton of fun. John is all British snark compared to the upright Clark. 

Inside the Blue Earth HQ, he discovers an Organum Infernalis, a sort of cauldron portal through Hell to Earth Al Ghul. 

At least know I understand how an Etrigan skeleton can be here. It is from another Earth the Al Ghul's have conquered. Now why Janan brought to this Earth is a question I don't know the answer to. Why bring trophies to this world?


I said the friction between John's sarcasm and Superman's forthright nature was fun.

But I really liked this moment where Constantine chastises Superman for not knowing 'squat' about magic. Who would have the guts to talk to Superman like this? 

I have been a fan of Constantine from the beginning. This read like old-school John. 


Superman doesn't heed the warning. He grabs a magical item which teleports him to Earth Al Ghul where Bloodwynd and Etrigan are waiting for him. Let's get it on! Nice cliffhanger.

Check out Bloodwynd. Chains on his forearms. Hmmm ... perhaps he is there from another universe to avenge THAT Otho? Hmmm ...

I'll miss Johnson. Even a fast paced story like this is a great read.


In a back-up, Steve Orlando and Nicole Maines write a story where Amanda Waller, in essence, bullies Dreamer into fighting another precog. It is clear that Dreamer isn't a fan of Waller but blackmail works. We get a fight which is well drawn by Fico Ossio. The story ends hinting at more adventures to come between Waller and Dreamer. 

I don't think I saw enough here to make me follow that story wherever it leads.


I was far more interested going into the Zod back-up. I'm not the biggest Zod fan and I felt he was pretty overused in the 2010's but it's been a while. What has he been up to.

I honestly don't know if I know.

For one, he is in cahoots with the United Planets about something. They are asking him to complete some project him. But it looks like he is playing them for his own purposes.


On the planet they rule, it looks like the Zod family is genetically engineering the natives into, hopefully one day, a military army. So far, the results aren't great.  You think that the history of Doomsday would scare off any Kryptonian from playing games like this.

It also looks like Zod is trying to terraform the planet into a crystalline new Krypton as well. 

We also see that Ursa is with child. And Lor is looking and acting more and more like Virman Vundabar. 

I suppose this was just supposed to be a taste of the story to come so we'll see. But this prologue felt a but muddled. Interesting art by McDaid.

I'll be reading Johnson over on Hulk and Green Lantern. But I'll be sad to see him go here.

Overall grade (for entire issue): B-

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It bothers me a lot that those are supposedly her adopted kids and yet there isn't a single panel in this run of Lois bonding by herself with either one of them.

Martin Gray said...

I agree, this story seems rushed, as if PKJ was told the book was getting another revamp and he was moving off it…hopefully there’ll be room enough in the annual to wrap up the story effectively, at least. I think this is the same Bloodwynd we met in the recent Doomsday Special, he had the chains.

I honestly can’t see how the young girl (I never know who has which O-name without looking it up) will join stupid al-Ghul without mind control, she’s too bonded to the Super Family. I look forward to the ‘twins’ going full Ogrun on her interdimensional ass.

Anyway, typically great script and art.

Why do DC keep pushing Dreamer? Why does no one stand up to Waller? What the heck is Superboy wearing?

How can Zod hide whatever he’s up to from the Kandorians and the UP? What are those things on the last page, rocket launchers? This doesn’t have me keen to shell out for the mini-series.

Anj said...

Thanks for comments.

Anon - you;re right that Lois has been a bit absent, perhaps to let Kara shine in the role.

Mart - I also wonder if the inspiration of this Superman is going to make Otho turn away from the evil of the Al Ghul's.

And I agree about the Zod stuff. Maybe this was a tease and things will be explained better in the mini.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic moment between Kara and Osul. Panels like that remind me why I love comics. So much character, story and emotion rolled into that space. The last few issues I think we’ve seen that the twins really love and admire their Aunt Kara. I get the sense that she’s the cool aunt that they want to hang out with.

Such a shame we haven’t seen a single Supergirl focused backup story since this book switched to an anthology format especially given that she has a storied history in the back pages of Action Comics when she was first introduced over 64 years ago. There’s an infinite amount of Supergirl stories yet to be told. Would love to see more of her relationship with the twins or the rest of of the Super Family. Wouldn’t mind seeing a little fun adventure or even a nice small slice of life story. As long as they don’t shoehorn her character into being a mopey one. One can hope.

Professor Feetlebaum said...

Off topic, but today was Helen Slater's 60th birthday. Born December 15, 1963.

Anonymous said...

DC keeps "pushing" Dreamer because she's a cool character with a lot of potential. Always excited to see a new story featuring her, and I'll be picking up the new Suicide Squad book solely because she's fronting it.

Steve said...

Dreamer reminds me of those Silver Age characters that popped a new power out of a hat every time it was needed for plot purposes.

Martin Gray said...

Exactly Steve, I was just noting her terribly vague, incredibly useful power set last week when I reviewed a Beast World tie-in. Hope it’s OK to post a link, Anj!

https://dangermart.blog/2023/12/07/titans-beast-world-tour-metropolis-1/

DC has so many great characters we rarely see - Firehawk, the Ray, Damage for starters - that I could live without TV characters being dragged in just because someone has a contact for the actor and can get a script from them. Dreamer is likeable, and Nicole Maines has done a decent job, but her powers are so vague, and suddenly her village from the Supergirl TV show is part of the comics DCU? Sincs when?

Anj said...

Always okay to post a link!

I think I'd rather see more of Dreamer on her own than to see her thrown into a Suicide Squad book.

But DC is doing things their way.

Anonymous said...

Don’t tell me they’re just gonna end this run like that?!!! Will it come back?!!!