Thursday, January 9, 2020

DC Comics Presents Pin-Ups


Two of my favorite titles growing up were Brave and the Bold and DC Comics Presents.

Simple team-up books with Batman and Superman, most often done-in-one stories, the titles exposed me to the DC universes by showing me new characters interacting with my favorites. Many of my treasured comics of my youth are from these books.

As I settle into the new place I have been revisiting these books and came across a couple of pin-ups in DCCP which are worth revisiting given the Supergirl focus of the book.

DCCP #38 guest starred the Flash and also had one of the best 'Whatever Happened To?' stories, documenting the last adventure of the Crimson Avenger.

It also marked the first DCCP with the higher price point of 60cents, including 'more pages of story and art'!

I wonder if DC needed to pad the book with a couple more pages given the new price and so tapped George Perez on the shoulder and asked him to do a pin-up of all the guest stars to grace the book since its inception.


The result is a pretty cool double page spread of a boatload of DC Super-Stars!

Pretty cool to see Perez's take on all these stars.



And there is Supergirl in her short shorts outfit.

I miss that outfit. The older I get the more I like it!


Interestingly enough, we see something similar a mere 12 issues later in the 'Golden Jubilee' issue DCCP #50.

This time DC asked Alex Saviuk to do the same, this time with the extra 12 months of guest stars packed in.


I'm not as big a fan of Saviuk as I am of Perez.

Still, it is pretty cool to see everyone there ... including He-Man and Battle Cat!


Supergirl has a much less prominent place in this jam piece.

In fact, I think this might be the only time Saviuk ever drew her!

It is a shame that comics have left behind the done-in-one format and fun things like pin-ups like these.

4 comments:

Martin Gray said...

Amen to your every thought here! That Seventies suit has never been bettered - the pocket S was genius.

Have you ever done a ranking of the main Supergirl costumes?

Anonymous said...

I like the short-shorts costume a lot, too.

Of course, I also like the Michael Turner and New 52 costumes, so ....

Rob S. said...

The short-shorts costume was the first one I ever saw, and to me seems more like the "real" Supergirl than any other. It's my all-time fave.

And DCCP sure was a fun book!

Professor Feetlebaum said...

I miss that outfit too. I miss THAT Supergirl.

It IS a shame that the done in one format is more or less extinct. Comics were more accessible back then. I think that long story arcs can actually hurt sales, and discourage potential new readers. There's a place for ALL types of storytelling in comics.