Monday, September 15, 2014

Six Flags Ride - Supergirl Sighting




I know I am late but a while back, a new Justice League amusement park ride in Six Flags Texas was previewed. It was all over the web including on Robot 6 on CBR here: http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/08/six-flags-unveils-justice-league-joker-harley-quinn-rides/

Now there is a Six Flags relatively close to me that has had DC rides in the past including a Superman Roller Coaster. I can recall that as you waited in lines they had big cut outs of the Super-family and a blurb of their origin. The Supergirl was the Matrix one which had the nuttiest two line origin - 'A protoplasmic being from another universe who merged with a human girl to become an Earth Angel'.

In fact, I am pretty sure that that origin blurb is one of the things which prompted DC to redo Supergirl as once again Superman's cousin.

This new ride 'Battle for Metropolis' looks like an interactive experience where the riders have guns to shoot targets and to be part of the story.


There is a youtube clip which is a commercial for the ride which gives you a sense of what they are going for:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5swVB5S5mEI&list=UUXBKOoy8WSXkGKxwJsOKRJg

It looks like Superman, Batman, and Cyborg have to rescue their captured comrades including ... SUPERGIRL. I don't think I should be too upset with Kara being a kidnap victim since the other captured heroes include Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and the Flash! Talk about heavy hitters!

I have to admit that I would rather have a ride with the Trinity heading to save their friends. How about putting Cyborg in a tube and let Wonder Woman be a star?

I do like how Supergirl looks here. I think this might be the first mass market representation of her New 52 costume.

If anyone in Texas hits this ride in the future, please let me know what it's like!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be fair, it's mentioned on Six Flag's website that you have to
rescue the entire Justice League from the villains. I'm guessing
at some point Superman, Batman, and Cyborg get captured as
well.

Bartiemus said...

This was similar to how they introduced Supergirl to the DC Universe Online video game it was up to you the player along with Superman to rescue Supergirl who was under Brainiacs control.

I would not be surprised if this is the role they went for introducing her to the movie universe as well unless she gets her own TV show

alex said...

DC promote Cyborg ? Ermmmmm.....

mephosto said...

hate to be the one to say it but we all now it's because cyborg is black, it makes me sad but this is dc. when they try to "diversify" the fail hard. coughnewguardianscough

Anj said...

I don't agree with that sentiment.

Cyborg was ready for the big time for who he is.