Saturday, May 31, 2014

Curt Swan Supergirl


Every so often something crosses my path about Supergirl which is unexpected and an absolute treat.

So I would like to thank Colin Smith of the excellent 'Too Busy Thinking About My Comics' blogs (V1 and V2) for showcasing this excellent sketch of Supergirl and Brainiac over on his site:
http://colsmi.tumblr.com/post/86488836732/two-endearing-curt-swan-sketches-of-supergirl-the

This is obviously the work of the master Curt Swan, an artist who defined Superman in the Silver and Bronze age. Swan certainly drew Supergirl occasionally, whenever she was a guest star in a Superman story he penciled. But he didn't draw much (if any) Supergirl in the classic Crisis-era Head Band costume!

So this wonderful picture of her, specifically in that outfit, with Brainiac 5 by Curt Swan is incredible, like finding a gem! They look so happy!


That picture is from Curt Swan: A Life in Comics, a biography of Swan that includes (apparently) many pictures.

I don't think I appreciated Swan when I was reading him. I totally appreciate him now. And there is no doubting his contributions to Superman. I just might have to go out and get this book!


On a somewhat personal note, he drew the Sand Superman arc, part of which is this panel, my avatar/icon around the net.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Lord The Look in Supergirl's eyes, she looks very "grown up". Swan was amazing at injecting strong emotional content in every panel. To me, Curt Swan was the total package he could inject that aforementioned "emotional content" he was also a master storyteller from panel to panel and he had excellent action bona fides.
John Feer

William Ashley Vaughan said...

I'm embarrassed to admit that I too underrated Swan when I was reading his comic books growing up. I considered him an average penciller, probably because he wasn't as showy as Jack Kirby or Neal Adams. However, his genius is apparent in every line of this beautifully rendered masterpiece. The clarity and detail work are amazing. John is absolutely right about the vividness with which Swan could portray emotion. Look at his comics and you'll find that these virtues were just as apparent in the most minor one panel walk-on character as they are in his super heroes.

William Ashley Vaughan

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful drawing. The look on their faces is lovely. Reminded me of a story, pencilled by Swan, in which Supergirl was happy in love.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_Vol_1_415

Anonymous said...

The Bronze Age Kara was the best Kara. Mature, modest, caring, and heroic.