Friday, March 2, 2012

Earth 2 Supergirl


The character designs for Earth 2 have been slowly being released over on the DC Source Blog. Yesterday we got a sneak peek at the Earth 2 Supergirl design by Kevin Maguire. You can see the post in its entirety here. As always, it is well worth reading the whole post. But here are my thoughts.

So first off, this looks to be similar to the Earth 2 Robin design we saw at the Source last week. Maguire acknowledged that that was a sketch and not a 'finished' piece of art. This has that same feel to it.

Secondly, I like the big S-shield as part of the shoulders and cape look. It is evocative of the headband uniform and sort of sleek. I think the gloves and belt might take some getting used to but overall a nice clean design.



On Twitter, when asked if he designed Supergirl's costume he said "Yeah, that was me. It was just a variation on the Earth-2 Superman design." Here is the cover to Earth Two #1 including that Superman.


Now initially I was somewhat taken aback by there being an Earth 2 Supergirl as that Kara has always been Power Girl, leaving Supergirl and here similar but always different.

But then I read what Earth 2 writer James Robinson had to say about that Supergirl:

“Superman’s cousin loves her adopted world with a passion, seeing how the people of Earth have adopted her and taken her to their hearts,” said EARTH 2 writer James Robinson. “She is the definitely brightest light among this first group of Earth 2 heroes.”

Boy, that just sounds like Supergirl doesn't it?

Loves Earth with a passion!

People have taken Supergirl into their hearts!

She is the brightest light of the heroes!

That just sounds like the core of the character. Like 'Classic Kara'. I shouldn't be surprised given how well Robinson handled Supergirl in the JLA series. So maybe I am going to be okay with Power Girl having once worn the blue and red and rocked the S-shield. I guess I'll see in May.

5 comments:

Martin Gray said...

I'm not too excited by that Kara design, but as Kevin says, it's not the finished product, and I doubt we'll see it outside of the odd flashback. Good point about its Daring nature - I'd love to see it with a headband!

Anonymous said...

I would love to see this developed into a Supergirl for those that want the simple, sweet, light-hearted, old-fashioned Supergirl and have the Earth 1 Supergirl get the red skirt back (not skort or shorts-under-skirt) and be a little more complex and modern. Then, with each group having the Supergirl they love, have everyone leave each other alone for once. I doubt any of that will happen, but I can hope.

Anj said...

I doubt we'll see it outside of the odd flashback. Good point about its Daring nature - I'd love to see it with a headband!

I do wonder just how much of the Earh 2 SG/Robin we will see (in flashbacks) or if we will only see the Power Girl/Huntress parts.

Anj said...

Then, with each group having the Supergirl they love, have everyone leave each other alone for once. I doubt any of that will happen, but I can hope.

Well, you and I have never agreed on anything when it comes to Supergirl. And, as I have said many time, you should make your own Supergirl blog to talk about your beliefs.

I have always always said that I don't need overly sweet saccharin stories for Supergirl. I enjoy Supergirl stories where she is striving to do her best. Occasionally she struggles ... but her heart is in the right place. And I see that complexity in Gates' issues and Puckett's issues and now in Johnson/Green's issues. And it sounds like I will see it in Robinson's WF (just like we saw it in his JLA).

You didn't see that complexity in those issues. That's not my problem.

I don't think there are 2 groups, neatly divided, in the Supergirl fandom.

I think there is you.

And then there are the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like this version of Supergirl is being set up for an early demise.
The "Brightest Light" is oft extinguished too young.

Just sayin'

JF