I couldn't help but alos notice that DC has opted to get away from paragraphs describing the issue, instead opting for bullet points. Maybe that is a sign of our '140 character maximum' attention span these days.
Written by MICHAEL GREEN and MIKE JOHNSON
Art and cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
• SUPERGIRL aids the new SILVER BANSHEE against her father, the deadly BLACK BANSHEE!
• Supergirl finds out about her weakness to magic – the hard way!
The idea of the Banshee having a super-powered father is somewhat new. I think it reflects the de-aging of the new Banshee nicely. It also might provide some more grist for the mill as Siobhan and Kara become friends. Both will obviously have father issues. Glad Supergirl looks like she is protecting the Banshee here.
And glad to see Mahmud Asrar back on art duty.
ACTION COMICS #9
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Backup story written by SHOLLY FISCH
Art and cover by GENE HA
Backup story art by CULLY HAMNER
Variant cover by RAGS MORALES
• Featuring characters from parallel Earths, including PRESIDENT SUPERMAN!
• Introducing new villain SUPERDOOM!
• Guest artist GENE HA joins GRANT MORRISON for this tale of not one, not two, but THREE Earths!
• And in the backup story, President Superman must stop a nuclear attack – but he can’t leave the White House!
I am of two minds about this issue. We have seen this version of Superman in the Final Crisis:Superman Beyond mini-series, a mini-series I loved. Second, I have been waiting patiently for the Multiversity mini-series by Morrison and this looks like a hint of that. So that is the upside here.
But .... but ... we still don't know the DCnU Superman very well. And frankly, I want to learn more about that character before I learn anything about alternate universe versions of him. So I just don't know if I am ready for this story now. Let's lay the foundation for the new Superman first.
Written by KEITH GIFFEN and DAN JURGENS
Art by DAN JURGENS and JESUS MERINO
Cover by IVAN REIS and OCLAIR ALBERT
• SUPERMAN faces new supervillainess MASOCHIST!
• How can Superman fight an opponent he can’t touch?
• LOIS LANE faces a turning point in her career as a journalist.
I am more interested in seeing what decision Lois has to make. Whatever it is, I hope it isn't a step backwards. I hope the decision isn't for her to give up her position running the newsroom to go back to being a reporter.
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by R.B. SILVA and ROB LEAN
Cover by IAN CHURCHILL
• “THE CULLING” continues here from this month’s TEEN TITANS ANNUAL #1 and leading into LEGION LOST #9!
• SUPERBOY vs. ROSE WILSON – round two!
• The shocking debut of the all-new WARBLADE!
This is in the midst of this Titans/SB/Legion Lost crossover leading into the Ravagers series. But nothing about this issue's description intrigues me. Another round with Rose?
Hopefully, it moves Superboy's story forward. I'll be bummed when Caitlin and Rose move on from this title into their own. They were part of the charm of this book.
WORLDS’ FINEST #1
Written by PAUL LEVITZ
Art by GEORGE PEREZ, SCOTT KOBLISH and KEVIN MAGUIRE
Cover by GEORGE PEREZ
1:25 Variant cover by KEVIN MAGUIRE
• New ongoing series featuring POWER GIRL and HUNTRESS of Earth 2!
• PAUL LEVITZ teams with amazing artists GEORGE PEREZ and KEVIN MAGUIRE.
• Discover why these two heroes are stranded on our Earth – and what it means for the heroes of the DC Universe.
The latest book to be reviewed on this site, World's Finest boasts a solid creative team with two of my favorite artists. It also stars two characters that I have followed forever. So, it should be a good book.
I am interested to see how the concept of multiple Earths plays out in the DCnU. Shouldn't the reboot have made it easier for new readers to get on board? And isn't this 'trapped on our Earth' similar to the 'trapped in our time' story in Legion Lost? And does this even have the possibility of equaling Palmiotti/Conner's Power Girl or Gail Simone's take on Helena (albeit Bertinelli)??
I am hopeful.
SMALLVILLE SEASON 11 #1
Written by BRYAN Q. MILLER
Art by PERE PEREZ
Cover by GARY FRANK
• The SMALLVILLE story continues in this new ongoing series!
• Based on the hit CW show!
• Find out what happened after CLARK KENT puts on the costume.
Now this was something of a surprise and I guess I will have to give it a try.
While I was never a huge fan of the glum, sulking, hiding Kal-El on Smallville, I am a huge fan of Bryan Q. Miller and Pere Perez, the last team on the Steph Brown Batgirl. And Smallville, for the most part, treated Supergirl pretty well ... until they inevitably had to have her fail so Clark could save the day. I hope Kara and the Legion make a trip back in time at some point in the book.
This would be an iffy purchase if not for Miller and Perez being on the book. Those guys rocked on Batgirl.
So should be a fun month!