Friday, September 26, 2008

Review: Tiny Titans 8


I continue to enjoy Tiny Titans more than I think a man of my age should. Tiny Titans #8 was no exception.

One of the things that I like about it is that it truly can be read as an all-ages title. I enjoy it. My 9 yr old enjoys it. My 5 yr old enjoys it. The comic walks a fine line of silly comedy and tweener school issues, and somehow jams in a surprising amount of Titans history, as well as pop culture references like Fight Club and The Beatles, for the old timers.

For example, the Terror Titans were introduced in this issue as kindergarten students called The Lil Terrors. The Persuader is carrying a giant toothbrush instead of an axe. Everyone enjoyed that, myself included. Blue Beetles parents at the parent/teacher conference are The Beatles. I think I enjoyed that more than others.

As for Supergirl, she continues to shine in this comic as the perfect student that everyone either loves or wants to be. There is no jealous angst here. Everyone just thinks Supergirl is cool. And while all the other Titans are the butt of jokes or act silly, Kara seems to be above the fray, floating serenely.

Here she is getting her report card at parent/teacher night. Super grades!


And here she is at an underwater pet club meeting.


As I have said before, 2008 is The Year of Streaky with his appearances here, in the Supergirl main title, as a part of her deluxe doll, and rumored to be part of Supergirl:Cosmic Adventures in the Eighth Grade comic.

Streaky in a wet suit! I love it.

I don't know if I would continue getting this title if I didn't have the supergirls at home. But if you need a chuckle and want to see perfectly portrayed Supergirl, Tiny Titans is worth the money.

Overall grade: A

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again, anj, I agree 1005 fully who heartedly with this review for said title in question featuring Supergirl here, ah! :D

Hmmmm, question, in this title's own continuity would I be right in assuming that their Supergirl is meant to be now more then that of the mere age of say around about 5 as well as the rest of her Tiny Titans class mates featured? Would I be right here? :/

Anonymous said...

Doh! That 1005 was meant to have been written up as 100% above instead.

Anonymous said...

Here, let's try this all again:

Once again, anj, I agree 100% fully whole heartedly with come this review for said title in question featuring Supergirl here, ah! :D

Hmmmm, question, in this title's own continuity would I be right in assuming that their Supergirl is meant to be around no more then that of the age of say around about 5 just like the rest of her Tiny Titans class mates featured? Yeah? :/

Truly very sorry about the 3 unintentional posts made, anj.

Unknown said...

I also really enjoy this comic. I have only picked it up on Free Comic Book Day but I always flip through it on the shelf. If I had kids, I would definitely be picking it up for them! It is adorable and I too enjoyed the Beatles reference. They do a good job of writing the book and its a cute read.

Nikki said...

dude streaky will be the star of final crisis, I am sure of it! Libra watch out...

rich12345 said...

so funny