Friday, February 16, 2024

Preliminary Con Prep: Terrificon 2024


It's that time of year. The days are short. The nights are long. It's cold and raw.

And I start thinking about convention season.

Specifically, I start thinking about my favorite convention, Terrificon and at least start to loosely think about goals and sketches. I hope to meet some creators and hopefully some friends on August 16-18!

As always, the showrunner Mitch Hallock has put together a tremendous guest list. As of today, there is a glut of comic talent that is going to be there. Now I have had the luxury of having been to many cons over my life. So I have met many of the superstars that have been listed, including but not limited to Jim Lee, Chris Claremont, Scott Snyder, Howard Chaykin, the Simonsons, and lots of others. While I am sure that I will have books to get signed from many of them, I thought I would focus on the announced guests that have grabbed my attention the most.

And at the top of the list is:


Phillip Kennedy Johnson had a tremendous long term run on Action Comics that included the Warworld Saga. His Superman was strong and an undeniable inspiration to those around him. From the battered underclass on Warworld to criminals in Metropolis, people admired and looked up to the Man of Steel. And Superman acted like Superman, fighting evil when he had to.

He also wrote a confident, intelligent, and capable Supergirl in all of his books. Look at the last couple of annual Top Ten Supergirl Moments lists on this sight and Johnson's name is all over it.

I haven't had the chance to meet him yet. I just want to thank him for years of great Superman and great Supergirl. 


June Brigman will also be at the con. 

She is probably best known for her work on Power Pack but Brigman also drew the Supergirl/Matrix mini-series back in the day. She worked on the Team Supergirl book. And she was the artist on the She-Hulk Ceremony prestige book. 

I definitely will have books for her to sign. A commission sketch from her will be my primary goal for the con. I hope she will be sketching!


I have never met Bart Sears either so I was pumped to see his name on the list!

I loved his work on Justice League Europe! His style is so unique. I hope he'll be sketching too. 


As I said, the list of guests is impressive.

But I am thrilled that Mark Waid will be there so I can thank him for World's Finest and hopefully get a couple of those issues signed. He also has written such a fun and powerful Supergirl.

I am also a huge fan of Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez ... a HUGE FAN. I have met him a couple of times already but you always need to thank the legend!

The guest list isn't done so I'll do another one of these closer to the show. But already I am pumped. And if anyone is planning on being there, please let me know!


3 comments:

William Ashley Vaughan said...

Please, ask Mark Waid if he has any future plans for Supergirl.

Anonymous said...

Let me +1 on asking Mark Waid if he has future plans for Kara....hopefully he'll be voluable...
:)

JF

Anj said...

All right folks!
I'm on it!