Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Supergirl On The Big Screen! Sasha Calle Announced!


The comic internet sort of exploded last week when it was revealed that 26 year old Latinx actress Sasha Calle was announced as Supergirl in the upcoming DCEU Flash movie.\

This included this ZOOM call footage of director Andy Muschietti telling Calle she got the role. 

I haven't seen Calle in anything. She is an interesting choice given the diversity she brings to the role. I will admit that I hope that she dyes her hair blond. But she seems quite delightful. And those who know her from The Young and The Restless seem to think she is a star in the making.

I guess in some ways I am burying the lede! Supergirl is going to be in the big screen DCEU. Now most people know that I have pretty significant issues with the Zach Snyder movies. At one point I actually hoped that Supergirl wouldn't be included in this DCEU out of pure fear. As the Flash movie seems to be based on Flashpoint, Calle could be a Supergirl from any sort of universe or part of the main universe. And Muschietti is a solid director. I liked It. He was attached to a live action Robotech at one point. He is in line to do an update of the Howling. That all sounds good. We'll need to wait and see.

There is a bit more info out there about the Calle announcement, for example here on Deadline: https://deadline.com/2021/02/supergirl-young-and-the-restless-actress-sasha-calle-the-flash-movie-dc-1234697190/

Here is a blurb:

The Flash director Andy Muschietti watched all the auditions and I hear, along with DC Films boss Walter Hamada and the producers, was blown away by the actress’ toughness and vulnerability that she brought to the role.

“I saw more than four hundred auditions. The talent pool was truly amazing and it was very hard to make a decision, but we finally found an actress who was destined to play this role,” said Muschietti, who has a keen eye for discovering talent, in particular all the young actors from the first It movie.


Supergirl is a pretty complex character. The fact that Muschietti linked her vulnerability and toughness as key parts of the role makes me cautiously optimistic. 

I also loved how both Melissa Benoist and Laura Vandervoort congratulated Calle on social media for getting the role. There is a sort of Supergirl lineage now! I like how all these actors are proud of their work with the S-shield.

So what do you all think!

9 comments:

Bostondreams said...

I'm excited, though I do hope she dyes her hair blond. I am really annoyed though that she will debut in a flash movie and not a Superman one or her own film. :/

Anonymous said...

Well the are following the Gal Gadot Template, debut a heroine in a male centered film, and then let the audience provide a groundswell of enthusiasm for a solo outing for said heroine. Worked like a charm for Wonder Woman to the tune of 1 billion dollars on that first film.
I hope she goes blonde too, they can have their cake and eat it too on this one, if she is proud brunette Linda Lee Danvers in private life :) If not, I won't weep any salt tears about it...its not like Helen Slater is a natural blonde after all or Melissa Benoist for that fact.

JF

H said...

I'm a bit more cautious. Wasn't a fan of It, Flashpoint's not one of my favorite Flash storylines. I don't know much about Calle either but if she has some soap opera background, that's a good thing Kara-wise. Probably be best (for me, at least) if she's from an alternate universe so they can give her a clean slate.

William Ashley Vaughan said...

She seems to have the joy and enthusiasm needed to embody Supergirl. I don't particularly care what color her hair is in the movie as long as they get the personality and the heroism right.

Anonymous said...

I'm just ecstatic that we're getting SG on the big screen, no matter where she debuts or what her hair color is.

Fingers crossed it means a solo Supergirl movie someday in the future!
- Sterling

KET said...

Finally seems like the right timing for a DCEU Supergirl to be cast. At least the character won't be benched on the sidelines once the TV show ends.

KET

Martin Gray said...

I don’t care whether it’s big or small screen, blonde or less so, so long as the character is written and smart and sweet and strong. Congrats to Sasha Calle!

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of having her brunette in her civilian identity and switch to blonde as Supergirl like in Rebirth.

Calle looks great for the role, I think she has everything it takes. My biggest fear lies with the writers. Do they look to Silver-Age/Sterling/Melissa/Slater/Fontana Supergirl or do they look at Red Daughter/Houser/Marguirite Supergirl. If it's the latter it really doesn't matter which actress you throw at it.

Anonymous said...

Hello from a french fan of supergirl,

I hope that the cinemas will be open normally to go see the movie.

After, i wait for the first trailer to give me a opinion.