Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Mike Maihack & Social Distancing



First off, let me say that I love you guys.

Last Friday I posted how the lack of new comics and the presence of the COVID-19 pandemic might slow down my posts here. The outpouring of well-wishes, good thoughts, caring comments, and recommendations for desired posts was really inspiring and just the sort of shot in the arm I needed.

And one of the things I learned was that Mike Maihack had come out with a couple of new Supergirl/Batgirl comics that I hadn't covered yet. I have been a champion of Maihack's work. His SG/BG strips always bring a smile to my face.

So imagine my delight when he did one commenting on the sort of social distancing we are doing in this COVID-19 pandemic. Here is the link to the comic 'Self-Isolation':
https://www.deviantart.com/mikemaihack/art/Self-Isolation-835377632

In it we see  the cool, calm, and ever-collected Babs knitting as she waits out an isolation period in Gotham. Meanwhile, extrovert Supergirl is going out of her mind feeling cooped up.

Babs recommends knitting and Kara agrees to give it a shot. But super-speed knitting isn't the way to slowly, gracefully pass the time.

There is a lot to like about this, from the tiny Streaky drowning in new knitted wares to Kara talking about her new outfits, a frequent joke in these strips.

But for me, this hit home. I am like Kara, an extrovert. I like going to work, walking around and chatting, and hanging with friends. And this time of social distancing is a bit challenging. And I know that with virtual meetings, Twitter, texting, and FaceTime we aren't ever really alone, I still feel cooped up.

Anyways, this was another winner. I'll have another Maihack comic to talk about probably next week. And thanks again to the anonymous commenter who pointed this out to me! So much fun!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, when Kara hears "staying at home" she automatically thinks 'home' means 'Babs' home'? Or are they living together? Heh.

I guess Mike isn't only commenting on the COVID-19. I mean, "Imagine the added chaos if you got infected by that Joker gas"?

Thank you for watching over your best gal, Babs. Imagine the chaos, indeed.

And the return of Super-Weaving! Streaky! The white shirt Supergirl costume!

This comic is so great. If only someone let Maihack make a "World's Finest" book...

Anonymous said...

This is precious. Mike is a patron saint of Kara and Babs. He always delivers the wholesome content we need. DC really needs to work to get his collected Superbat works published. Also give this man a book. This is perfect for DC Zoom.

Anonymous said...

Hello from a french fan of supergirl,

I follow three twitter : Anj, Mike Maihack and Sarah Leuver.

You all give me smile with yours articles and drawings.

Concerning knitting, the new series of super heroes girls hight school had publicated a comic. Girls must found an after school activites ... and Kara joined the knitting club.

H said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better Anj. I know it's tough for extroverts right now (I'm very much an introvert so it's not hitting me so hard) but it's like Babs said- we need to be patient and we'll get through this. Somehow Mike always knows what we need to hear.