Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Leviathan Theory: The Enforcer In Action Comics #1011


I am trying to figure out in my head how to handle my Leviathan theories here on the site.

One thing to do would be to insert my ideas about the theories in the reviews of the books where new clues appear. New theory ideas would be rolled into the ongoing story. The down side would be that my already super-long reviews would be longer.

The other would be to have separate Leviathan theory posts thus giving me more room to discuss why I have the new idea and give some supportive evidence around it. This would keep my reviews the same length but it would mean many more Theory posts (when warranted).

For now, I think what I will do is insert any new fleeting theory (maybe Leviathan is Ocean Master??) into the review. But anything more substantial, anything that needs a broader discussion or panels from other books for evidence will be in a separate post ... like today's.

My main  Leviathan Theory  is laid out here. I freely admit that I am pretty anchored on this theory.

So let's look at my theory that Captain Atom (as a stand in for Doctor Manhattan who was a stand in for Captain Atom) is the 'Enforcer' of Leviathan.


Squint and you'll miss it but Atom is mentioned in an article for the Planet that Perry is proof-reading. You don't get all of it but it looks like Atom was seen streaking into a building before it exploded. Too obvious a clue?

It is interesting that Atom, who hasn't been seen in a while has suddenly reappeared. But wait there's more!



In the issue, the Enforcer tracks down Spyral agent Tiger and seems to eliminate him in the now classic bright blue energy explosion.

This Kirby Krackling central globe of energy reminded me of something. It reminded me of Dr. Manhattan.


Remember at the end of Watchmen #3 when Manhattan disappears, heading to Mars.

Yep, blue globe.

Also that 'Manhattan Transfer' ... we'll get there in a bit.





How about something more recent, like his appearance in Doomsday Clock #7.

Yep, blue globe.

You might remember that part of my theory is the overwhelming 'feel' of Watchmen on the blue energy, globe talk, giant jellyfish, and Leviathan meaning.

Hmmm ...



That blue globe of energy also reminded me of Captain Atom! No big surprise. Remember, Manhattan was based on Captain Atom.

Sherman, set the WABAC machine to 1987 and Captain Atom #1.


In that issue we learn of Captain Atom's origins.

Nathaniel Adam is framed. As a way to expunge his record, he agrees to take part in an experiment where he will be placed in an alien metal hull and have an atomic weapon exploded beneath him.

This image, a crackling energy globe, appears on the first page.


But now look at the page when the bomb is detonated and the alien metal fuses itself to Adam's body.

Look at that lower row, central panel.

Some sort of central energy globe.

Okay, it's a stretch. But there is no denying the look of that energy in Action Comics #1011 looks like something Captain Atom would wield.



Later in that issue, we hear what Superman felt when he was engulfed by the blue energy.

It wasn't destruction.
It wasn't disintegration.

It was as if 'it made things not be'.

Okay, so that's interesting.


Well, what about that Manhattan Transfer, that teleportation he does. Does that sound like 'it made things not to be'?

Remember though, I don't think the Enforcer is Dr. Manhattan. I think it is Captain Atom.

But let's look at Captain Atom again.


During that first experiment, you know the one where he exhibits a central globe of energy?

He seems to simply not be.

And that is because his energy overloaded the time/space continuum and he made 'the damnedest quantum leap' in history. Atom jumped in time.

So what if this energy the Leviathan Enforcer wields doesn't destroy things or people but instead shunts them in time?

What if all these missing people were simply shuttled not only somewhere else but also some when else?

Atom's powers of disappearing in time could be the equivalent of someone feeling like making things 'not be'.

This Enforcer is Captain Atom.
This time I'm right.

5 comments:

Martin Gray said...

So as I was saying last week, my dear Anj, that reference to Captain Atom being seen before an explosion isn't new, it's talking about the Year of the Villain oneshot Luthor story in which Lexcorp staff were given five minutes to leave (referenced in the note you show) or die. I think you're so anchored to you theory that you missed my comment!

A million points, though, for 'Manhattan Transfer'.

Anj said...

Ack ... I saw the comment.

I still think it is funny that he suddenly is 'back'.

Also, perhaps it is a feint, but the fact he was nearby enough to come to the LCorp building seems suspicious.

Or, I'm anchored.

Thanks for comment!

Anonymous said...

Its "Matter Eater Lad", its his time I think.

:)


JF

William Ashley Vaughan said...

I suppose the energy we see is really from the miracle machine during the period after he er ingested it. I suppose his next villainous deed will be a new ultra edgy Supergirl title written by Garth Ennis and illustrated by Rob Liefeld.

Anonymous said...

Here's an ultra edgy Supergirl for ya: Retailer variant of Dceased #2, coming out next week, through unknowncomics.com by Jay Anacleto!

It's an homage to the Adam Hughes variant cover for Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes #23. (And holy cow, I didn't know that was incredibly valuable!)

That is off-topic, but as for the topic, I have no further theories about Leviathan.

While I previously observed that Power Girl is on the cover of today's Leviathan Special, she was also on the cover of Heroes in Crisis #1. (I haven't yet seen if she's in the #9 interior.) I suspect her appearances are artistic license.

It makes more sense that this ties into Doomsday Clock (important story) than into Power Girl (obscure). But Bendis is enjoying reviving dormant characters, and also like to creates hierarchies (like the woman who is behind the leaders of the Invisible Mafia that we met first, who now owns the Daily Planet).

Also, haven't many building been actually destroyed, not simply disappeared?

In the article Perry is proof-reading, he has highlighted that "Jessica" should fact check something. Maybe an inside joke referring to associate editor Jessica Chen.

T.N.