Wednesday, February 18, 2009

NYCC Aftermath Part 2: Eric Jones Commission And A Mystery Cosmic Easter Egg


You may recall that I had given my friend who was attending the NYCC this year two missions. One was to meet Supergirl creative team Sterling Gates and Jamal Igle.

The other was to seek out the Supergirl:Cosmic Adventures in the Eighth Grade creative team Landry Walker and Eric Jones.

My friend found Walker and Jones at the DC booth surrounded by throngs of kids. That is great news. More than anything, I think comics need the current generation of fans to extend a hand to the next generation. I was pretty happy to hear that the young fans were at the convention.

My buddy was able to talk to Landry Walker about the comic for a bit and it really sounds like the creative team has a great understanding of the Supergirl character. Walker talked about how fans (like ones on this blog!!) have a grasp of the history of the character and he is trying to honor that. And he was able to get me the great commission seen above already hung on 'The Wall of Fame' at home.



Imagine my surprise when earlier this week, Landry Walker sent me the above pic. He explained that there was a slight coloring error in this month's Cosmic Adventures #3. The time-travelling Supergirl should have been wearing red tights as an homage to the predominant variant costume seen in the 1970's Adventure Comics run (seen above). To be honest, I probably should have picked up on it given the red gloves and the way the cape hangs.

Walker is unclear if the gaffe will be fixed for the trade. Of course, that means it sounds like this is already in line to be collected in trade format! That's great!

But how great is it that Walker and Jones are respectful of Supergirl's past and are re-introducing it to a whole new group of Kara fans!! DC better get this team to do another mini-series or name this an ongoing.


For completeness sake, I attached this pic I scanned earlier showing just a smidge of the blue tights as they appeared in the issue.

Thanks again to Landry Walker for sending me the information!

7 comments:

Saranga said...

That's pretty cool :-)
Now I think I should go read all the Supergirl issues to get all the in jokes. I've mostly only read the Linda Danvers and current Kara books. Matrix supergirl has been calling to me for a long time though.

Anonymous said...

Anyone seen the solicits for SCAitEG #6? She is depicted riding on the back of Comet the Superhorse...

Which might be a tease as to the mini's conclusion...Classic Comet got his powers from a magical source and could ignore red solar radiation and Kryptonite. Properly prepped he could fly Kara home I would think...hope she doesn't leave for good this has the makings of a great ongoing series if DC was inclined to role the dice.

John Feer

Anonymous said...

That sketch is awesome. If that smile doesn't warm your heart, you have no soul...

Did anyone figure out what Supergirl's scimitar (sword) signifies? I'm just curious.

I hope we get a TPB for this series. Every library and school should have it.

Anonymous said...

My sincerest congrats on not only the cute commission by Eric Jones but also on Landry being so kind in taking time out of his hectic schedule in willing to contact you as well as sending the properly intended pic of time traveling Supergirl to boot there, Anj! :D

Anj: My buddy was able to talk to Landry Walker about the comic for a bit and it really sounds like the creative team has a great understanding of the Supergirl character. Walker talked about how fans (like ones on this blog!!) have a grasp of the history of the character and he is trying to honor that.

Kewl! We're mentioned there at that! 8D

Anj: Walker is unclear if the gaffe will be fixed for the trade. Of course, that means it sounds like this is already in line to be collected in trade format! That's great!

Certainly is! Sweet! 8D

Anj: But how great is it that Walker and Jones are respectful of Supergirl's past and are re-introducing it to a whole new group of Kara fans!! DC better get this team to do another mini-series or name this an ongoing.

Amen to the last bit at that bro! C'MON ALREADY DC!!! *Sighs*

On another note, Judging by May's official cover/solicitation to Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade #6 looks set to be possibly the best issue out of this title out yet! I mean Supergirl riding Comet the frickin' Superhorse among OTHER surprising Easter eggs too even! WOWY!!!

Sincerely can't wait!!! 8D

Anj said...

That's pretty cool :-)
Now I think I should go read all the Supergirl issues to get all the in jokes. I've mostly only read the Linda Danvers and current Kara books. Matrix supergirl has been calling to me for a long time though.


Thanks for the post.

I will try to reference back to as many in-jokes as I find. But people should point any that I miss too.

Anj said...

That sketch is awesome. If that smile doesn't warm your heart, you have no soul...

Did anyone figure out what Supergirl's scimitar (sword) signifies? I'm just curious.

I hope we get a TPB for this series. Every library and school should have it.


Thanks for the post.

I love the sketch too.

As for the sword and crown, I only have speculation right now. I may post the crown thought soon.

As for the TPB, donating it to a local library is a great idea!

Nikki said...

guys guys...

Supergirl riding comet...through the multiverse!