Superman: Kingdom of Zod Special #1 came out this week, finishing the crossover event and setting up the next arcs for all the super-titles. The writers for the main super-titles are all present to do their character specific segments while Joshua Williamson pens the main story.
In the end, I don't know if Kingdom of Zod lived up to what I expect from a crossover. I have pointed out my issues with the overall plot in every review. But it was this lack of scaffolding of a story. I didn't understand much of why Zod was doing what he was doing from the beginning. The way an overabundance of Green K only 'sort of' hurt Kryptonians, and only when the story needed it to bugged me. The use of Lena Luthor as a deus ex machina, her creating anything that was needed also concerns me.
That isn't to say there aren't good moments in this event. The side-plot back in time to Krypton was quite entertaning.
This issue basically needs to put everything essentially back to where it was before the arc and it does it succinctly. And rather easily.
For me, the best part of this special was getting a sneak peek into where the titles are going now. Some interesting stuff for sure.
The finale to the Zod story was written by Williamson with art by Paolo Villanelli.
We start with a flashback, back before Jon was aged. Clark is imparting some wisdom.
When talking about doing things he has regretted, Clark talks about putting Zod and his men into the Phantom Zone. He had little choice. He would either have to kill Zod or imprison him. He hopes Jon is never put into such a bind.
It is a nice moment. I like when Clark is the one giving Pa wisdom. But it also shows how hard it was for him to act as jailer, sending Zod to the hell of the Zone.
It also reminded me how much I miss Super-Sons Jon.
As I thought, the genie would be put back into the bottle by Lena Luthor.
She created a Time Travel Bomb. When hooked into the time bubble engine, it will drag anyone in the wrong time back to their right time before they interacted with anyone from our time, essentially negating the timeline.
That's right! With spare parts at SteelWorks, she whipped up a device that will plunk Zod back in his timeline before he met Ursa or Kara and learned all he learned.
Well that's was easy!
It does lead to a nice two page spread when the bomb is exploded. In a circular layout, sort of the swirling of time, as Zod gets flushed back.
Some nice moments here with Jon punching Zod so Superman can escape Zod's grasp. Supergirl gets a good cross to Ursa's jaw. And both Superboy and Booster are save from the effects of the bomb (remember they are also in the wrong time and could get flushed) by other heroes.
But there is that regret moment. Will Superman regret not changing things? In theory, he could have gone back and try to save Krypton or its people? Will this weigh on him in the future?
Solid page with good art here.
Things aren't over.
Ursa grabs young Superman and threatens to kill him thus changing the timeline radically.
However, Superman and Supergirl know Ursa, friend of Lara, would never murder a child. She tosses Jon away and takes off.
Well that was easy too.
Plus, I wouldn't put anything past this Ursa. She murdered her own husband. I have seen her use knives to slice and dice Chris Kent and Thara Ak-Var. I don't think I would trust just calling on her sensibilities.
And just like that it's over. The Green K is gone. Zod is dead in the present. Ursa is gone. Thus endeth The Kingdom of Zod.
On to the epilogues.
The Superman Unlimited section is written by Dan Slott with art by Rachael Stott and Giulano Peratelli.
In El Caldero, we see that the color has faded from all the green K they had. Suddenly they are a poor nation again. But everything made of green K, even things like buildings, is still around. So the Green K didn't get absorbed by Superman and didn't disintegrate. Will we see the clean up of all the Green K growth around the planet ??
Anyways, Lois demands the sunstone from the King and he gives it to her. (Don't know if this was a Lois moment, but here we are). Who is the Heir to the House of El? It's Supergirl. Love that.
Honestly, under Phillip Kennedy Johnson and Williamson, Kara has stepped up to be the second in command here. She has knowledge of Krypton and its culture. She should be the heir.
This might be my favorite moment of the book.
Superman asks Jon about what's going on. No S-shield. New hero name. Not stepping up to be the heir to the house of El.
Jon says it is time for him to be his own man.
DC hasn't known what to do with Jon since they aged him. I don't know if Tomorrow Man is going to stick. But it has to be better than what came before.
And then this fun moment. Booster knows about Tomorrow Man from the future. He's a great hero. His secret identity is unknown!
I'll admit, that's pretty cool.
Then off to the Superboy story by Mark Waid and David Messina.
At first, Clark doesn't want to go back because he knows to much. The stress to live his life and become Superman while not disturbing the timeline is too much. He wishes he could forget.
Easy enough for J'onn to do.
So that plot point is cleared up too.
I can imagine the stress Clark would be feeling on top of all the stress he is dealing with.
But now he won't remember this so back to normal stress.
Bring on young Lex Luthor in Smallville!
The Supergirl section is written and drawn by Sophie Campbell. I have to say when Campbell is able to do the art, the stuff sings.
She tosses the sunstone into the Antarctica snow and out pops the Fortress of Solidarity. Unlike the Fortress of Solitude, this is a place for friends to gather, a headquarters. Given the feel of the Supergirl book and how so much of it is Kara's relationships, a place of Solidarity feels right.
Compare that to the New 52 Supergirl's
Sanctuary, on the bottom of the ocean so she could be alone! This is an upgrade.
Not sure of the design of this place yet. Is is a snowflake? A flower?
And then this sneak peek of the new Reactron. He looks like a bruiser! He's powered by Gold K and he has been hired to kill Supergirl.
And I like the blue elements crossing his body and the star motif, just adjacent to classic
Reactron!
Then on to the Prime.
This looks like Williamson and Villanelli again.
With Reign of the Superboys over, Prime doesn't really have a place to land. So he says he is just going to 'take it easy'.
I'll miss the Prime Time book. I'll miss the fun of that run in Reign. Where is he going to go now? Certainly the buzz on that run on the book must have been seen by DC? Will there be a prime mini-series? Solo book?
The last section has Conner and Lena dealing with the cleanup in El Caldero. This is written by Williamson with artist Bruno Frenda.
We get two juicy pieces of information. One, the Kryptonian regeneration matrix brought two people back to life. Who is the second? Did someone revive Zod off screen? Hmmm ...
The next are these images taken from Lena's Time Bomb.
A Black Lantern ring. Brainiac with a Legion Bottle. A Black Zero flag.
But who is the woman tinkering with tech or some alien?
We end with Lex flying up to Conner for a father/son talk. Poor Conner hasn't had much to do for years. So I am glad he might be getting his own thread.
So the previews showed me some good stuff. But frankly, I am glad Kingdom of Zod and the abundance of green K is behind us.
Overall grade (issue): B
Overall grade (event): C+
4 comments:
The splash of Clark flying off with Lois was my own personal favorite part of the book. I think the problem with Lena is she never struggles. There's almost never a price for her miracles. Let's toss the cast into Gemworld where there is little to no science and see how she does.
I enjoyed this more than you, Anj. I forgave the Lena stuff here because it works with what’s already been established with the story, and isn’t she as smart as a Luthor plus a Brainiac? Mind, a fun curveball would’ve been her getting lost in time as she was tinkering, leaving John Henry and Natasha to finish the job and taking Supergirl’s all-purpose scientist off the game board for a while.
Overall, a fun event. I guess they’re never going to tell us about the inertron.
Good wrap up of an ok crossover. Delighted to see Supergirl officially become heir to the House of El. She can even go on to become Superwoman now that Lana and Lois are no longer using the identity. Not that I didn't enjoy Lana and Lois in the role, but Supergirl becoming Superwoman is the most logical progression for Kara. The new Reactron seems suitably nasty. I'm of two minds about the Supergirl without superpowers direction that seems to be in store for her. It can lead to Kara being a sidelined in her own title as a minor supporting character in what effectively becomes a Super Force book. Or we can see her prove that she doesn't need super powers to be a hero and fight effectively for "hope, help, and compassion for all." We will see how it works out.
Thanks for early comments!
I keep forgetting that Lena is part Brainiac and so might be the smartest of them all. But she has become something of a crutch or linchpin for plots - solving two issues here easily, making a drug that can effect Kryptonians in the SG book, etc.
I sometimes see this in Zatanna - we need an out for this sticky plot point, let's solve it with Magic.
And yes, I have been grumpy about this event and should remind myself of the good parts. There was a moment in here that definitely will be on the top ten SG moments of the year.
Post a Comment