Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Supergirl Super Powers Figure

I'm old enough to remember when the original Super Powers figures were released. I loved them. I mean the Dr. Fate and Hawkman ones were absolute boss. 

Back then, I hoped the first two series were going to open the floodgate to an absolute Who's Who of action figures. I was hoping in those mid-80s days we would get a Supergirl action figure in that mold. Alas, it never materialized. 

Well, yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus!

McFarlane toys has decided to continue the line and has been putting out lots of DC action figures in the style of the Super Powers toys. 

Lo and behold, there is a classic Supergirl figure. And it is mine!

When I held the package in my hand, I was hit with this feeling like I was a kid again. Yes, nostalgia can sell. But for a hot second, I was a younger Anj! Amazing.

And I love the packaging! Classic Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez (praised be his name) on the card. Beautiful.


The origin text is a little light. She is a teenager with Superman's powers. I'd have loved a little more flavor. At the very least, I'd have loved it if them mentioned she was Superman's cousin.

Still, small complaint.


And the figure is just so fun.

Blue shirt and red skirt is my favorite look. This 'feels' like Crisis era Supergirl given the toy brand and the look. There's no headband and there's no red shoulders. So it isn't classic Crisis.

But it is a Kenner Super Powers figure. I don't think this is Matrix Supergirl (the first SG to wear this exact look). 

It is just so much fun. I love it.


Love the cloth cape.

Decent hair sculpt as well.

I know I already said it. But this just 'feels' like Crisis-era Supergirl. The original Super Powers came out in 1984. Crisis came out in 1985.

So I put it in the 'Crisis' section of the shrine. 

I know, it isn't the Crisis costume. But it just felt right in that spot.

I am just so happy this exists!

3 comments:

  1. If this came out in the mid-'80s, you could argue it would've been based on her then-NEW movie, in which the costume is nearly spot-on (really, only the boots are different).

    Shame there's no logo on the cape, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never been a toy guy but what I did enjoy was your enthusiasm. Never change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's about time Kara is getting the recognition she deserves.
    I've been a fan since Action#322, and, FINALLY, at least with
    all the merchandise w/her being available lately (thanks for
    telling us them!), it seems that she is getting more attention
    now. ;)

    ReplyDelete