Monday, September 21, 2026

Review: Batman/Superman World's Finest #55


Batman/Superman World's Finest #55 came out this week, the beginning of a new arc featuring Ra's Al Ghul as the main villain. But as is typical of writer Mark Waid, we expand the villainy to some of the dustier corners of the DCU, including an all time favorite of mine who I think hasn't been seen in 40 years! Incredible.

The plot is simple enough and relatively standard for an Al Ghul arc. He wants to kill 90% of the human population on Earth in hopes of saving the planet. So why not employ super-villains to help him. And perhaps, even better, why not employ super-villains who might share his viewpoint. But the cherry on the top is utilizing the symbolism of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. 

What also makes it work is that Waid actually brings in a plot point to explain why the rest of the League isn't helping out with this worldwide threat. 

Adrian Gutierrez is on art here but the art feels a little smoother than I usual see in his energized style. Still pretty slick. But almost too clean based on what I have seen before. There is the usual cool page and panel construction.

On to the book.



The League is on Rann helping quell an alien invasion. But the battle has taken its toll on the environment. The League will need to stick around to help fix things.

Hal has a fun way of figuring out who of the JLA will go home to defend Earth during the cleanup. Whoever picks a number closest to the one he is thinking of will be free. It's Superman. So now we know why the League isn't on Earth.

But those numbers are Waid genius.

7 - Green Lantern #7, introduction of Sinestro
76 - Green Lantern #76 - classic Neal Adams' GL/GA cover with Ollie destroying the Lantern
2814 - Hal's Sector
22 - Hal's first appearance in Showcase
1959 - year of Hal's first appearance

Yes silly. But fun for someone like me!


On Earth, Ra's Al Ghul has helped spring Poison Ivy from prison. She is an eco-terrorist like him. So he wants her to be the famine portion of his Four Horsemen.

We meet the others.
Ocean Master as War.
Queen Bee as Pestilence.

And ...

Tokamak as Death.

Tokamak!!!

Sherman, set the WABAC machine for 1983 and my beloved Fury of Firestorm book! Incredible pull!



Cut to a scene in Gotham with Batman and Robin trying to fight Killer Moth.

During the fight, a swarm of robot killer bees fly into the skirmish. 

Right behind them is Superman who removes the bees from the scene. He has been battling swarms around the globe.

Love the fight scene and the set-up from Robin's exuberance to Batman's left cross to Moth's jaw. And Superman flying in was excellent.


Talia is also there. She tells Batman about her father's warped plan. A bit of exposition to help move the plot along and include our heroes.

Love Robin's snarky description of Talia to Superman. I guess this is the first time Superman has encountered Talia. Torn between loyalty and 'the hots for Bruce'. That is how a young boy would describe the situation.


Unfortunately Robin was stung by the bees. Remember Queen Bee is 'Pestilence' in Ra's scheme.

The sting delivers a virus similar to the common cold but in a mirror configuration so invisible to human antibodies. The common cold is suddenly deadly, putting Robin into the hospital near death.

Don't know if I understand the science but not the first time that has happened in a comic.


Superman finds Queen Bee's hive and disassembles the place. 

I love this page, a near splash I have cropped with Superman flying almost out of the page with Queen Bee in tow, wrapped in his cape. Awesome page.


Batman has been sticking by Robin's bedside instead of being out fighting the good fight.

He has a revelation thinking about 'mirror viruses' that makes him reach out to Kid Flash.

For sure, Batman is going to ask Wally to bring in the Mirror Master to create a mirror virus vaccine. This time I'm right!

But Queen Bee is one part of the Horsemen.

The Ocean Master has taken over Atlantis with Aquaman gone and has declared war on the surface world (again). 

Tokamak is going to make a Korean nuclear power plant meltdown.

And the bees continue to swarm.

That's a lot of threats for just our two heroes!

This was a solid first issue to the new arc with the usual Waid panache. Interesting Ivy hasn't started her attacks yet. I wonder if her more heroic side of being an 'anti-hero' will kick in and she won't do too much.

But really, this had me at Tokamak.

Overall grade: A

5 comments:

  1. Oh well done with the numbers, I hadn’t tried relating them all to Hal - such fun!

    You have to be right about Mirror Master, it makes so much sense.

    Sure, the rest of the JLA are busy, but we’ve seen the likes of the Doom Patrol and Metamorpho in this book, bring them in… I’d love to see a Substitute Justice League of future members, such as Hawkgirl, Zatanna, Elongated Man, Black Lightning and even Firestorm, as he has to be around (see my blog for my thoughts on when this issue might take place). Maybe even bring in Firehawk as she’d have a grudge against Tokamak. Metamorpho surely wouldn't say No.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still stuck on Orm taking over the military. That wouldn't be a quick process for an essentially powerless character, especially one who's tried to kill the majority of them. Is he now an Xavier level psychic? None of the villains grab me, even Talia and her daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Mart that the Earth has more than the JLA. Perhaps those other heroes (like Kid Flash) are dealing with the fallout and not the primary problem. (Would love to see Firehawk fight Tokamak!)
    And yes Steve, Orm took over too quickly ... unless the people actually want him as leader!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I just wanna say I have some Supergirl stuff from mexico and brazil that I think you'd be interested in seeing and possibly sharing on here. send me an email!
    RICKDASILVASANTOS@OUTLOOK.JP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are we conjuring with a 20th Century "Legion of Substitute Heroes"?? I'd insist on Karal as legacy muscle, but maybe this is more a "totem supergirl" thing :). JF

    ReplyDelete